New laptop, what to look for

limbo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limbo,

I'm not an expert on laptops by any means, but I do know that the Centrino chip is Intel's processor designed specifically for the notebook computer. I suppose that the advantage would be related to new technology, better heat dissipation, things of that sort.

BKK22 -

Centrino promises more battery life, but the processor is just one piece of the power puzzle so it is best to check the battery life specs of the machine as a whole. Beyond that, as far as I can tell Centrino is a lot of marketing hype; no better or worse suited for wifi, etc.

I remember when laptops were junk compared to desktops. When desktop systems were 486's with high res graphics and 200MB drives, laptops were 286's with black & white screens and 20MB drives. Laptops have just about caught up (in fact they now outsell desktops) and I think for most people just about any processor, hard drive, and screen would be enough these days, especially web + ms office type users.

If you like Sony, the Z1 is a very sexy Centrino package. IBM thinkpads are further along technology wise and I like the fact they're about the only one without those dumb microsoft keys taking up real estate on the keyboard.

The extras I would want are an embedded flash card port, 9 gig dvd writer, fast wifi (not just 802.11b), a fast 64MB graphics card for gaming, gigabit ethernet, firewire 800, TV output, infrared, at least a 15" screen, at least 1400x1050 resolution, internal floppy (almost impossible to find these days).

>It's not gonna be a Mac.

Toshiba or Sony are faves, don't like Compaq too much.

Since DELL reistablished themselves in Thailand, you can visit their site (for Thailand but in English) and configure your laptop and get prices in THB. Local delivery and warranty.

In July this year they hired 40 more local staff, they are there to stay, especially at high end (see what flat screens and PCs Bumrungrad Hospital utilises and few other biggies).

Things are pretty standard, I would take at least 20GB HDD, combo DVD/CDW, 256Mb of RAM and 2 USB ports.

If you want to connect your PC to a TV and play DVD movies, I think the graphic card has to be at least 64Mb.

(I have Latitude C400 with one USB and I'm finding it annoying that the external mouse has to be disconnected if memory stick reader or printer has to come in. ).

Hi Gummi,

I suspect that the answer to your question re hi-res would be 'gaming' or similar graphics oriented apps, previously a dubious proposition on the humble laptop. Not sure I'd like to be sitting next to someone on a plane with a 17" laptop running Quake 3 in full-screen mode : might make it hard to concentrate on the pre-flight safety briefing :grinyes:

Archived