New laptop, what to look for

limbo

LOL, that's me ::. Actually, I find high res more useful for multiple windows & getting lots of stuff on screen like giant IE windows or spreadsheets. I run 1600x1200 on my monitor, but this wouldn't be good on a smaller 15" monitor. One thing I've learned is you really need bigger monitors for higher resolutions. Otherwise you either have to squint or tell IE to use big fonts which screws up most web pages with wrapping text.

Another route is to use multi-monitors which studies have shown increases productivity. I noticed a lot of microsoft guys like to run 3 medium sized monitors.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likewise, I use 1600x1200 and would not like to have it any other way. With this resolution you never have to go fullscreen with your windows and thus always have quick access to files on your desktop or elsewhere.

I also double my 15" lapt top screen with a 19" external monitor. That makes it even more easy to work simultaneously with several programs.

i am thinking of picking up a new laptop. a year or so ago i got one from pantip plaza. that worked ok, although they didnt give me the OS on a CD, which became a problem when the system crashed and had to be rebuiklt. i had to go back to pantip plaza to get them to reinstall Windows.

anyway, my question is this. is pantip plaza still open, or has it closed down now? i it ha closed down then where else could i go?

no, panthip is still open. it's only the re-sale of pirated software that are affected on and off there.

imho, prices on laptops are rather favourable at the moment. one seem to get a kick-ass machine for relatively small money (at least compared to a few years ago).

Okay okay, I give on the resolution aspect. My 15" only goes to 1024 x 768. My default Excel setting (and I use spreadsheets quite a bit) for zoom is 75% so I'm showing 40+ rows at one time. My normal work mode.

As for multiple monitors... At work, I only have one network connection. Recently I just hunted up a spare hub so I can connect both the laptop and desktop. Noticeable improvement in productivity!

As for bang for the buck, I'm really very satisified with what I got.

<<burp>>

>So anybody any idea if it's worthwhile buying in S'pore rather than Panthip?

I compared prices of flat screens at Changi Duty Free and at Pantip, Singapore was 10% dearer (although duty free). Tried to compare full systems but could not really find exact matches. Anyway, Pantip is not more expensive than Singapore.

If you do at a shop that will be around for a long run, i.e. "IT City" at level 5, you'll get your system and components unpacked, tested and checked in front of you, all serial numbers noted in the warranty, their and manufacturer's Thai + international warranty, and great service.

IMO, other than small gadgets, I would not buy anything out of Thailand (for use in Thailand).

There are two IT malls in Singapore. Sim Lim Square near the Bugis MRT and Funan The IT Mall near Raffles City/City Hall MRT. Funan has the nicer showrooms and somewhat higher prices, but if you have a legitimate offer from another dealer a seller in either location will match it. When I say 'legitimate' I mean don't assume you can just bs and hope to bargain. Doesn't always work. They will bargain with people who know the market and if they think your full of it they will pretend like bargaining is a thing of the past. Find a few models you want and then find the best prices and find what the bundled prices will be with extra RAM, an extra battery and so on. Including discounts on stuff you don't want is not a bargain. Funan has better book stores and a better food-court if that helps. If you need bits, used stuff or harder to find stuff Sim Lim is the place.

The airport policy is that the shops there will match prices for shops in town, Ive never tried it. By and large retail prices in Singapore might not be a great deal less than prices at Panthip, but (and a big butt she is) The market in Singapore is just so much bigger in Singapore there is a better chance you will find something that is on sale to get it out of the store.

I hear that Hong Kong prices are better than prices in Singapore.

Archived