SAPHAN KWAI what's happening

bigal

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai oriented bars. Last time I was there, like one year ago, some of the bars were converted into live music bars.

I enjoyed a lot going there with some Thai friends. You must speak Thai to go there.

There are some good looking girls at Buffalo Bridge... Many smaller Thai style bars. Cheap drinking.. You will need someone to speak some Thai though.... Girls sit at the front and you can pick some to sit with you while you watch the singers. When I was there there was totally nude dancing and a lesbo show... Some of the girls weren't interested in going with Farangs as they have Thai regulars who don't like them being with us Foreign guys.....

Interesting to see, but nothing special...

• 1 year later...

A couple of us hit some bars in Saphan Kwai last night (Friday night), and have a couple of observations.

You don't need to speak or understand Thai, in fact, its fun to pretend not to understand what they are asking or saying. (When they call you Moo or Kwai, its a high compliment, right?)

We had drinks in two bars, and bought lady drinks at both places. The prices seemed a little better than say, Cowboy. Large bottles of Singha for 120 baht. Long time 2,000 baht including barfine (did not test this offer). Lady drinks were 120 baht per cola.

The women were not very attractive to me as a rule. The bars and their furnishings were well worn and in need of some cleaning at least. The air conditioning was not set to "freeze" as it is in many farang-oriented bars.

Upon leaving each of the two bars, I tipped the woman who sat with me 100 baht and in both cases they seemed shocked and delighted. On the other side of the coin, it seemed that everybody and his brother and sister turned up with their hands out when the change from the check-bin came back. The bar girls, the mama-san, the waiter, the cleaning lady, perhaps some guy who was walking by and heard some farangs were paying up and leaving.

Walking up and down the street, we were hounded by a couple of tuk-tuk drivers with brochures for some soapy place, and of course, most bars had somebody in front who would open the door, promise us low dink prices and try to get us into the clubs. Everyone seemed happy to see us (and our money), except when we walked past one table set up on the sidewalk, with four or five young men sitting at it who glowered at us as we walked by.

The second bar was a smallish one, long, with a small stage with room for one dancer at one end, near the single toilet. The girls who came and sat next to us were pretty cold. The dancer's on the tiny stage were not even vaguely interesting to either of us.

As we finished our beers, the other guy called for the check-bin, and I headed for the toilet because it would be a long taxi ride to the next place.

When I came out, he was still waiting for his change (After we left, he said that he timed the time it took them to bring the change on his watch to be 12 minutes. ) So, I took a seat at the next booth -no point in sitting next to Ms. Ice. Then, the dancer got down as a younger one got up onto the stage.

This was much nicer looking that any of the others we'd seen. She hadn't been in the bar -its a very small place and a good looking woman would stand out in a place like that.

She shimmied and shuffled around on the little stage. After a couple of minutes, off came he bikini bottom. Ho-hum, as though we'd never seen that before. Still, the change from the check-bin hadn't arrived.

A few minutes later, off came her top (what a disappointment, but hey..). My friend sat at the other booth with the woman who sat next to him, Ms. Ice next to her, and we all waited for the change, though now it didn't seem quite as urgent a matter as it had.

Just then a striking young lady - who had not been in the bar before that moment, walked in, came to my booth, sat next to me and took hold of my hand. Well, now, this place isn't so bad. We had about two minutes to exchange pleasantries, then the change from the check-bin arrived. And with it, every hand in the place, outstretched for a tip.

I might go back sometime since it was a nice change from the same-old same-old. I don't know if I would go alone, though. I don't take to being glowered at much.

Archived