SAPHAN KWAI what's happening

bigal

'On the other side of the coin, it seemed that everybody and his brother and sister turned up with their hands out when the change from the check-bin came back. The bar girls, the mama-san, the waiter, the cleaning lady, perhaps some guy who was walking by and heard some farangs were paying up and leaving.'

thanks Rick.

another comment which is sending me to work with a smile on my face.............

i know how you feel,it always seemed to happen to me whenever i rang the Bell............ :shakehead

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it a bit dodgy to go alone? i dont usually get scared or intimidates easily but a group could do nasty damage even to a well built lad like myself. ive never had a hint of trouble before but theres always the first time. :dunno:

Emmit,

Yes, prolly safe. Anyway a single friend won't help you much if you're in troubles. I haven't been there since young thugs seem to be roaming the city and shooting rocket propelled machetes at farangs but had nothing like the beginning of troubles in those bars and if you've never had a hint of trouble before, you should be OK as well . Shaddy area though for sure and the weird or threatening glances if you're a complete stranger are likely in such a neighbourhood. Some foreigners don't like it at all and I can't say either it's in my list of fav hang outs in BKK. More than time to go back though.

Good to read reports about the area on the board anyway!

ROTFLMAO. 5555555 I remember those guys. Good thing Toxin rounded them all up and sent them to go harass FigJam.

Anyway, I do like Saphan Kwai. My tips:

Best to go on a night other than a Friday or Saturday and especially at the end of the month cuz that's when all the Thai guys get paid and they crowd the bars.

Good food, nice gals (mostly of Thai beauty ideals: slender & light skin), can eat inside, cheap (beer B120/large bottle, B120 small bottle of Sang Som, whole fish B175), usually very friendly, speaking Thai or not. We too at first pretended to not speak Thai to see what happened. Very nice to us, but relieved to speak Thai LOL.

A couple of bars were less than gushingly warm & friendly, but certainly not dangerous (much like most NEP bars :p). Just some uneasiness at strangers and the unknown. We just had one drink at those places and moved on, no dramas. The better (i.e., friendlier) ones seem to be nearer to Phaya Yothin (i.e., the BTS).

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

ROTFLMAO. 5555555 I remember those guys. Good thing Toxin rounded them all up and sent them to go harass FigJam.

I have easily scared them away telling them that I come from the very same Detroit lowlife neighborhood all of the tough guys like yourself come from.

Archived