Paying for Breakfast..... rip off!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes eat an American breakfast. It cost me anywhere from 39 baht to about 100 baht. Generally I pay 50 or 55 baht and normally leave a 5 baht tip. I have never considered this an issue.

Last time I checked, the Oz dollar was around 73 US cents and about 20 British pence (OK, a little more ...). Its currently at a little over 29 baht.

MM's post would then read :

I sometimes eat an American breakfast. It cost me anywhere from $1.34 to about $3.44. Generally I pay $1.72 or $1.89 and normally leave a 17 cent tip. I have never considered this an issue.

OK, I know that we are all trying to save on food to spend our hard-earned on more important pursuits, but scan this sentence and ask yourself what something like that would cost in your own part of the world ? Here in Oz, its easy to pay between 15 and 25 dollars for breakfast in a hotel : Thailand remains an insane bargain in those terms.

Now if we want to discuss the *exorbitant* prices charged for things like ice-cream on Beach Road in Pattaya ..... :grinyes:

To have paid for (included if not on priceline) a breakfast (for 2) at the JW and miss it is a real shame as I consider both the Marriotts to have the best breakfast spreads I have ever had in Bangkok, whereas to miss out on a few dodgy ABFs from the "steel drum" would not bother me.

At the end of the day, it is the price you pay. Bt1200 no ABF is worse than Bt1000 with ABF. Something like Bt900 to conpensate for no ABF does not exist.

Yeah, I avoid places that have "breakfast included". It's not so much a getting up on time thing for me, but.... why do these places assume that we farang like to eat eggs, toast, OJ, coffee, EVERY F*CKING MORNING?!?

Dunno, high season you probably won't have any luck, but I have complained to management before in low season and gotten a discount before for no breakfast included (Eastiny in Pattaya).

When I stayed at the Siam Square Novotel once, they informed me curtly that breakfast was served between 7 and 10 AM. :doah: Not much use to a man who keeps the hours that I do. :beer: I quite reasonably asked them if it wouldn't be possible to shunt the serving period forward a tad to, say, between 3.30 and 5AM :), so I might grab a tasty plate of bacon and eggs from the buffet selection as I rolled back tired and peckish :drunk: from Grace Disco. :up: I also took the liberty of suggesting that they serve draft beer during the breakfast session. :D

They didn't seem too keen. :( (Claimed that a few other hotel guests "might object" (selfish bastards :cussing:), but I have my doubts. :nono: I reckon it's just plain stubborn laziness on the hotel management's part, and I shall be taking my trade elsewhere in the future. ::)

jack :help:

Ok guys thanks for the debate didn't expect it to be quite so useful. I accept the charge that "massive rip off" is probably a bit too strong but the point that I was trying to make was that I object to having to pay for something that I know that I will hardly ever use...........regardless of the low price.

I am staying in the Residence Garden in Pattaya a hotel I really like and which charges 1300 per night without breakfast. Breakfast American style is 220 each so I go to the Nags Head in town and pay 55 baht anytime of the day.

Those of you who know me will know that I am no cheap charlie but wasting money is not something I like doing.

Throwing the unused vouchers in the bin is a waste of money.

By the way what do you guys think of the compulsory dinners on the 24th and 31st don't start me on that one?

Maybe should be a seperate thread.

Thanks for the input.

Uniformguy

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Archived