Paying for Breakfast..... rip off!!!

...I object to having to pay for something that I know that I will hardly ever use...........regardless of the low price.

Well... you could say this about a lot of complementary things at hotels that you may or may not use. Small wash clothes, swimming pool, shower caps, toiletries, etc. Even if you don't use them you still pay for them. (Try telling the hotel manager that you don't want those little bottles of shampoo, and could you please have a discount? ::) The advantage to the customer of having all these things (e.g. breakfast) included in a package is that the hotel can offer it to you cheaply because they 'sell' a lot of it.

On the other hand, if breakfasts are a signifigant part of the cost, I can see your point.

My biggest beef (as stated before) is that most places offer so little variety even though it would cost them very little more, if at all, to have lots of choices. It's like having having a mini-bar stuffed with nothing but orange fanta. :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minibars the world over are a rip off. That said, nothing, and I mean nothing, will prepare you for the price of 150/200ml of evian at the Park hyatt in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

JPY 600 plus 10% service and 5% tax.

Still, you can fill up with water from the 7/11 in the Washington hotel next door.

torrenova said:

Minibars the world over are a rip off. That said, nothing, and I mean nothing, will prepare you for the price of 150/200ml of evian at the Park hyatt in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

JPY 600 plus 10% service and 5% tax.

That's bad. :: (you know what evian spelled backwards is, right?)

Staying in las vegas once at the excalibur, the only drink item available was a $5 bottle of water . It's like they're saying "hah, free drinks, now your dehydrated, so now we're going to stick it to you!" At least it was 1L.

I did stay at a cheap hotel in Thailand once (600B if I remember right) and was kind of taken aback by the minibar prices: 120 baht for a heineken, 100 for a singha! I took everything out of the bar (later filled with own stuff), brought it to reception, told them I didn't want it and ask why it was so expensive.

"It's a hotel."

Oh, yes, of course... Hotels can charge whatever they want and the customer must pay.

In most thai hotels you get two bottles of drinking water for free. I was in Bangkok with gf two weeks ago and the gf took one fresh bottle to carry in town going out shopping. These girls do know how to save money :grinyes:

The hotel we stayed at gave a free bf voucher for one person per room. That gave me an american bf, the orange juice for the gf, then we went next doors to give thai food to the gf. Everyone happy, she hates hotel food :D

It depends on where you're staying, no? If I stay at the Majestic suites and miss breakfast, I haven't missed much. On the other hand, if I'm at the JW Marriott and skip the breakfast, I'm out what would cost someone walking in off the street 700 baht. Big difference. If I were you I'd get up earlier or forgetit.

rex :drunk:

Archived