Interesting stories from LOS...

Steve

I've heard a few interesting stories, some sad, some good, etc. What are some of the more interesting ones that you recall. They could be about falang as well as Thai.

I know a bar in Pattaya where there are 3 sisters working the same bar. Their mother had 3 daughters and sent each one to 'work bar' as soon as they each turned 18. I was saddened by that thought. They are in good spirits and the good side of it all to them is that at least they are together.

I was out with some BG buddies of mine. Taking a night off just hanging out with them as friends and bar hopping and at one of the bars, a guy at the end of the bar asked me if I was American and bought me a drink. I said thanks but was a bit suspicious as he made his way over to me. He was German and very drunk. He told me why he bought me a drink as it was a 'thanks' for some kindness showed him at another time by others. He went on to explain that as a boy of about 7 during WW II in Berlin and orphaned by the war. He said he was wandering the streets and the U.S. soldiers were unsympathetic to him. However, he did find some soldiers who took to him. He was befriended by the Black soldiers. At that time they were not allowed to do combat and were assigned support duties like cleaning, cooking, etc. He was fed by the kitchen staff and taken care of by them. He said if it wasn't for those Black soldiers he's not sure what would have happened to him. He had a vast array of knowledge of jazz and blues and he said he got it from the soldiers because its what they listened to. He said he had a huge collection and its his favorite music. He was asking me if I heard of some artists and songs I had no idea about. He spent several months being fed and cared for by them and that's how he learned English. When the unit left they took a collection and gave him some money. He lived at a German school for orphans after that and the money helped him survive. Later on in life he would send money to civil rights organisations during the '60s and his buying me a drink was a small token to the guys who took care of a small German boy during the war.

Archived