Sending check through the mail

Big Kev

I have stayed in touch via e-mail with BG I met in Clinton Plaza beer bar for past several months. A very sweet thing, pretty good English, and although she asks with increasing impatience when I'm coming back to Thailand, she has never requested that I send her any money.

Her birthday is coming up, and I would like to surprise her by sending card and check. Maybe $50. About what I would give her for a couple of LT sessions.

I have some questions I'm hoping someone on board can answer:

1. Will she have any trouble cashing a personal check for US dollars drawn on credit union in North Carolina?

2. How reliable is Thai mail service and how exact does address have to be? I was thinking of sending to her at bar name, Clinton Plaza, Sukhumvit Road, BKK, Thailand. Do you think it will get there?

Thanks for any answers/advice you can provide.

Hi,

"1. Will she have any trouble cashing a personal check for US dollars drawn on credit union in North Carolina?"

I suppose so, but don't really know.

"2. How reliable is Thai mail service and how exact does address have to be? I was thinking of sending to her at bar name, Clinton Plaza, Sukhumvit Road, BKK, Thailand. Do you think it will get there?"

It will probably get to the bar, but no guarantee that she will ever actually get to see it.

BTW, have you considered Western Union?

Sanuk!

Thanks for quick response KS.

As far as actual delivery to BG, I have option of maybe getting a buddy to hand carry it when he is in BKK next month.

Problems with BG getting the check cashed are another matter I guess I will need to reconsider.

Have no personal experience with cashing dollar check, but have a co-worker that deposited one in his account and it took 6 weeks to clear. That is assuming your friend actually has an account to deposit.

If you have someone to handcarry, have them give her the cash. That socio-economic class is pretty much cashed based...

Unless things have changed recently, cashing a foreign check is impossible. Especially for a BG. Had client send me one a couple of years ago and was told that they had to return the check to point of origin for clearance. Citibank BKK offered to front 50% while they did the same. Safest is Western Union, just make sure you have the girls name correct and EXACTLY the same as on her ID.If you have buddy going over, then send the cash.....and a big flowery card !

LaoHuli

"Had client send me one a couple of years ago and was told that they had to return the check to point of origin for clearance. Citibank BKK offered to front 50% while they

did the same."

But would the check eventually get cashed after 1-2 months?

Never had a problem with a cashier's check drawn on a major US bank. Would be better to send it to a personal address or a well-known hotel (say if she has a trustworthy friend working reception who could be the liaison for holding it at the counter for the girl). It worked for me for a number of years.

Cardinalblue

I agreee with the western union idea.

Ive sent 4 packages and ONLY 2 made it.

I sent a few envelopes, and one was while my friend moved. When she went back to her previous apt. to see if it ever arrived there. They said "yes" and gave it to her.

OPENED. So much for Return to sender.

A Pommie mate recently sent 8kB via UK post and sent it "registered mail" without probs to me for his rent.

Insist that the envelope is marked "addressee's signature only" in Thai & English if possible.

Archived