Thai people integrating into farang culture

Pescator

[color:"red"]They can play nonstop up to 48 hours (some do it on a mixture of speed, coffee, Lipo, liquor and cigarettes) and meanwhile their kids just have to look after themselves in the smokey room.

When they run out of money they borrow from each other and thus entering a spiral of debts.

[/color]

When I lived in Germany, we lived on an American AFB which had many Thai women who were selling themselves to get money to gamble away. Afew houses on based were raided regularly for gambling and of course, the ones the Military police arrested were Thais and Filipinos. I have (unwillingly)acquired a few pieces of good jewelry from these gamblers becuase they seemed to need money at all times so they cried and begged to pawn the jewelry with the promises to get them back. I still have them all!!!

A woman who is a few years older than me, gambled the money of ove half a million $ away after her husband death, within 3 years. Now she is in her late 50s working in a grocery store so she has something to eat!!

$20 is a lot of money for me to gamble away, perhaps I am just lucky for never get involved with these people. I have found out not to hang around these people a long time ago and I count my blessings.

Jasmine ::

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] but i guess that has more to do with her upbringing (very poor, but with parents who were very strict regarding manners). that is also why my family in germany likes her very much, and i can tell you - my clan is unforgiving if bad manners are displayed.

[/color]

I have met many humble Thais with very good manners or they know how to behave in situations. My family had always said that "Good manners does not take money." and I am very glad to hear that about your TG.

[color:"red"]her problems of adaptability were more part of her personal perks, such as rearranging my dad's kitchen so that he could not find anything anymore, [/color]

::Funny, Hubby had always took care of the cleaning in the kitchen while both of us worked. Now I have retired but he still wants to work so I am trying to do more and one thing I did was re-arranging the kitchen, now he cannot find anything. Just now (morning here), after feeding him breakfast, I asked him to unload the dishwasher, my reason was "So you know where things go!!". I guess I just must let Hubby do his cleaning once in a while so he knows what is going on!!! :neener:

I also agree that some people cannot assimilate, no matter what education or wealth, however, I find education (which does not to be all formal), and the attitude plays major role in adapting capabilities.

Jasmine

Guest lazyphil

jasmine you sure know some negative stuff about Thais OS--I'm sure the opposite is the case also!

Its about finding a place in society back in falangland--finding fellow Thais that can be trusted as we have both 'gtg's and ex bg but mostly the former (not by selection just by availability)--but for some could be tricky plus having a few friends totally unconnected from LOS is very important imo--just spent a very enjoyable afternoon driving to several couples (falang/falang) who could not care less about LOS (not in a callous way) to give Christmas presents (and receive :D) too some of whom go back 20 years--the wife of my best friend who recently graduated in bio chemistry (not really relevant but I know you like educated folk!) prepared a pre xmas meal--I'm starting to get the feeling when is this all going to go to s**t because everything is working out and by all accounts it shouldn't be :banghead:--still its interesting to read it here!

btw jasmine please have a word with the USAF guys at Lakenheath/Mildenhall down the road from me that we drive on the LEFT in England--bloody menace they are!!

[color:"red"] I'm starting to get the feeling when is this all going to go to s**t because everything is working out and by all accounts it shouldn't be --still its interesting to read it here!

[/color]

I try to post both "negatives" and "positives".

I don't think it is unusual for things to work out in a relationship more than not working out. My relationship and many others have worked out for more years than the ages of many people in this board. It takes two to make a marriage work and some marriages just work for a few years for things do change.

I don't hang around Thais becuase the town I live in is a very small town and no Thais here but Virginia is only a short drive away and many Thais are there. I only meet most of them in temples or parties about 2-3 times a year but I have known many people who try to help other Thais here and normally I am involved (if asked) only as a background person.

[color:"red"] btw jasmine please have a word with the USAF guys at Lakenheath/Mildenhall down the road from me that we drive on the LEFT in England--bloody menace they are!! [/color]

The Americans seem to have a problem driving in the wrong (left) side of the streets, me too and I will not attempt to drive in Thailand, I am scare man. I think it is just what ones are used too.

I normally try to adjust and I have a hard time in Thailand in the first week and also in the States after a trip to Thailand. This next trip I will stay in Thailand for 90 days, the longest time spent in Thailand for the past 34 years, I don't know what it will be like to come back home to drive on the "right" side again after that long a time staying in Thailand. We shall see.

Merry Christmas Phil.

Jasmine

Guest lazyphil

<<I don't think it is unusual for things to work out in a relationship more than not working out. My relationship and many others have worked out for more years than the ages of many people in this board>>

Yes I believe this--you are a good example of this :)

<<I don't know what it will be like to come back home to drive on the "right" side again after that long a time staying in Thailand. We shall see>>

Good luck ::

Happy Christmas to you too Jasmine :beer:

"I don't know what it will be like to come back home to drive on the "right" side again"

I find that my biggest problem is remembering "right" or "left" when pulling out of a car park or street with no cars to reference. Other than that it is no real problem outside of thinking a lot for the first few days. One really does put daily behaviour on auto-pilot, so you have to pull it forward and consciously think to overcome that.

Good luck!

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

I find that my biggest problem is remembering "right" or "left" when pulling out of a car park or street with no cars to reference. Other than that it is no real problem outside of thinking a lot for the first few days. One really does put daily behaviour on auto-pilot, so you have to pull it forward and consciously think to overcome that.

Good luck!

Cheers,

SD

Agree that having to think about it and staying off "auto-pilot" is the key. Probably the biggest problem I continue to have is walking up to parked car and starting to get in the wrong side. :shhh:

TH

[color:"red"] Other than that it is no real problem outside of thinking a lot for the first few days. One really does put daily behaviour on auto-pilot, so you have to pull it forward and consciously think to overcome that.

[/color]

Thanks for the reply. I don't intend to drive in Thailand, however, I normally got in the wrong side of the car and my brother just thinks it funny.

A couple years ago, the first time I drove after being in Thailand for 25 days, I clipped the garage door so it cannot be "left" or "right", just me :o

I find myself looking for cars in the wrong direction when crossing the street in Thailand also, I think I am just confused or dis-oriented more than many people.

Jasmine

LOL, but this is Thailand is it is prudent to look both ways :neener:! "But officer it IS a one-way street, but I am only going one way!"

Seriously, it would be cool if they did as in Hong Kong and put "look right" or "look left" on the pavement at major pedistrian crossings. Very helpful.

As far as the garage, aim for the big hole in the middle...

Heck, I have been in RH drive countries for a long time (but raised LH drive) and I still get in the wrong side on occasion! Endless amusement for my (usually Thai) travelling companions :D

Cheers,

SD

Archived