Common interests essential to success or not?

MaiLuk

No one has spoken about the bond that a woman and man may feel towards each other. Do you guys not think that there is something hard to define that attracts people of different interests and culture together and helps them stick together thru or after trying times. I mean, if i ever stay with my GF for years and years, it will not be about common interests, and even talking about love does not carry as much weight to me than this feeling that one is made for each other, thru thick and thin. No?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<All these things are important, but when it gets tough, commitment is still the one the matters>>

This is the bottom line--dont matter if you can share every single interest together if you cant cope with the adverse moments.

There was a study of long-term couples a while ago and what they had in common. There were three traits that they shared overwhelmingly of which I only remember one: sense of humor. Seems plausible to me. I wish I could remember the other two though.

Hello,

I don't feel that a couple needs to like everything in the same way. Ones should respect the differences.

However, I find the emotion devotion and commitment counts. I have had friends who never do things much together but support each other for individual's interest. My Hubby does not like a few things I love to do but he supports my interest without complaints. My latest thing I have done is making cloth dolls for 20 underpriviledged kids for Christmas and all of sudden (after he saw 3 finished) he told everyone at work and sounded quite proud of them and this is the man who teased me when I first started that I "have reverted to be a child at retiring age"!

The longer we have been together, the more we found that our background/upbringing is very similar so the important things are easy to deal with. That is one reason I have posted several times that I prefer similar backgrounds and education. However, the most important, IMO, is the desire to make the relationship work from both partners.

Jasmine :)

I think a small amount of shared interests helps, even if it's just something like eating! Otherwise, your interests may force you apart.

For a relationship to last I think your partner has to find you either physically, emotionally or intellectually compelling. If your girl has strong emotional anchors to you then the chances of your relationship weathering storms increases.

Compatability is more than just having the same hobbies. Sharing a sense of humour will get you further.

Oh, and while I'm preaching - you've got to ask lots of questions, get a sense of their history, their beliefs, their dreams, their morals. I especially feel that sharing the same morality system is important to a happy relationship (I can see some of you shuddering at the very idea LOL)

[color:"red"] I especially feel that sharing the same morality system is important to a happy relationship (I can see some of you shuddering at the very idea [/color]

I strongly agree with you. In my previous post I mentioned the similarity of Hubby and I on upbringing which includes morality.

I just watched TV yesterday on relationship with money management. It said that in a relationship we can fake a lot of things except on money, either you know how to manage it or not, have money or not. I do feel that managing finance style does impact a relationship.

Attraction to each other does help, however, people change and little things can become the breakers of a relationship.

Jasmine

Guest lazyphil

I think its the differences that make it work/interesting--if I wanted a woman with my interests like hiking holidays in Peru, fishing, Red Dwarf, REM etc I'd look for a sturdy, backpack wearing type of English girl ::

Archived