What to do when you get pulled over driving in LOS

I was looking for the post on this from before but I could not find it. I guess I am just too feable. I hope the admin can grant me some dispensation... :grinyes:

I had a question about it though, I was wondering, when you get pulled over and the MiB shows you the "price menu" has anyone here ever asked for the officer to just write them a ticket and then gone and payed it at the station? Do you ask, "what is ticket price" and what is "settle now price"? I was thinking, if you got the ticket, what happens if you leave the country and don't pay it? :hubba:

Thanks,

Rug

>> I was looking for the post on this from before but I could not find it. I guess I am just too feable. I hope the admin can grant me some dispensation... <<

Some posts have been moved to another "secret" location (a place called "archive"). KS promised to make them visible as soon as possible (referring to a post in the suggestions-folder).

Do it a couple of times and you will get the routine ;)

The officers take your license and bring it to the station...so, that's what you'll lose if you leave the country without paying (consequences are a bit more severe for Thai citizens as they may not be able to renew licences and vehicle registrations if they don't pay fines). I wouldn't recommend skipping the bill -- it's only small money anyway...

I suggest you just play dumb. Thai police officers are mostly not very harsh on you and cannot speak much English. Just smile and be polite. Sometimes you'll have to pay -- straight or under the table -- and sometimes you don't. Here you just have to use common sense and your judgement of the situation.

If you think an officer is a real asshole (some are you know) continue smile-and-polite but note his vehicle registration number or anything else that identifies him and make a mess out of it thru your embasssy or the tourist police. It will have an effect but it will require work and you got to watch your back from then on ;)

Peter1964 said:

>> I was looking for the post on this from before but I could not find it. I guess I am just too feable. I hope the admin can grant me some dispensation... <<

Some posts have been moved to another "secret" location (a place called "archive"). KS promised to make them visible as soon as possible (referring to a post in the suggestions-folder).

Peter,

That thread is in Legal and still there :)

Cheers !

I found you dont get much chance to say anything.

""you pay XXX ok"" :p

Small amounts as you say.

Hi there TB!

True as you say...but it can be terrible expensive in the long run if you say yes to every police officer that pulls that line (especially if you're a motorcyclist). So, I wouldn't recommend an unconditional 'yes'. ;)

In the Royal Thai Police handbook of skimming farang I think the line goes: "You pay now?" If I have time on my hands I ignore that question.

However, I also don't stop for Thai traffic police -- if I can get away with it. That goes especially for the express lanes in Bangkok where the police sometimes try to wave you down from stand still position not realizing you're running at 180 km/h. :drunk::) )

BTW..up early? not gone to bed yet? 5am :drunk:

Wish it was a true 5 a.m. -- I'm currently in the Land of Snow and not the Land of Som Tam. :(

I guess if your trying to beat the corruption aspect then you can always carry a notepad and pen in the car! If you get pulled over, bring it out and right down the policemens ID number! Normally, this works and they just tell you to keep moving!

Another idea I heard from a Thai was, have your drivers licence in a clear plastic envelope and at the back always keep 50 Baht in.....Therefore, when you get pulled over you hand your licence over, the cop looks at it and normally returns your licence (without the 50Baht!)....

SB.

I think Embassy staff are too underfunded to be worrying about helping someone with an 800B ticket. Really not in their interest to get involved with local law inforcement

I take the different approach to these guys are really not give them the time of day. If at the end of the day I have to pay a few hundred bhat police tax so be it. Been pulled over 3 times and never had to pay, so I guess I am due.

At first I will only speak English and this usually puts them off, then will break into thai if need be

if you got the ticket, what happens if you leave the country and don't pay it?

-----------------------------

I can't speak for 2004, but it happened to me in BKK circa1989, the cop kept my Int. driving licence, while i would go to the station, pay the ticket (1000 bahts) and come back to show him the paid slip. I just did not bother, the car was due back the day after, and myself to the States, a few days later.

Just what i did, not telling anyone to do likewise. But for sure, I advise not to show one's passport, a bit more precious than a 10$ International licence.

Uh... Transportation section this one!

Archived