What to do when you get pulled over driving in LOS

i got pulled over several times. it is all a matter of negotiation. sometimes i did not have to pay anything, sometimes 100 baht and the most i had to pay was 200. always payed on the spot with one exception, where they kept my driver license and i had to go to the police station a couple of days later to get it back (payed 200 baht there for a official ticket passing a red light).

I think Embassy staff are too underfunded to be worrying about helping someone with an 800B ticket. Really not in their interest to get involved with local law inforcement.

I agree with that. However, when they're starting to get 1000 complaints per year, it got to have an effect, direct or indirect, somewhere and somehow.

It's not like they're going to pay the ticket or negotiate for you though...

I've bveen waved over twice in some 3 years, both times I had broken the law. Once I was let go after the cop found out I had a real job and was not a tourist from Pattaya, the other time, upcountry, had to pay 200 baht or go to provincial capital in 2 weeks to pay. Both times just had a valid US (state not named) drivers license.

Have never been waved over for no reason, but then I do try to aviod driving much in Bangkok.

TH

I have been stopped in Phuket on holiday a number of times on a motorbike no hat.I have never been stopped where I live in the car but once on the way to Ubon from Chiangmai during the drug killing period.I have always stopped in the past but now I have been here a few years I respect the Thai police as much as the locals do. Today I was meeting friends for lunch at the sheraton chiangmai and running a little late they was a gang of BIB at a corner today no hat fine day I nearly stopped but thought fuck it.If they enforce the law properly everyday I would have stopped but after fucking paying fines its ok again not to wear helmuts I just dont get it.

Over last 8 days I got pulled over 4 times (5 actually but the oficer recognized I was "processed" 30 mins ago and let me drive away).

What happens? If there are many cops, unlikely you'll be asked to do anything else than show your driving licence. The national one was always enough. No international.

When you see only 2 cops, they might be "working" in tandem. Got asked to pay 400B for speeding (110 instead within 90km/h limit). The officer said I was driving 130, I said no - 110. OK, 110, but the limit is 90 (there were no signs along the way). No radar, no records, nothing.

My gf said we had no money to pay, if we could arrange it in some other way. "You pay 100B, OK?". We did, no receipt, just go.

My friend in CM did not bother to get his wife a helmet, said "no problem if they stop us, i will slide 100 in my passport". being from Pattaya, i doubted it was efficient anymore.

1 minute riding and we get to see a whole bunch of cops (with offficers) stopping them. I thought, all this time wasted for one lousy helmet, but no, the 100B trick worked again, and though I was glad no time was wasted, at the same time, i thought "will Thailand ever change?". One lonely cop, I understand, but 12 cops, hald of them with stripes, there for making a show of enforcing regulations, still 100 bahts buys them all. I dunno, I felt ashamed for Thailand 2003 a bit :(

If you know the city quite well and if know where you exactly at when you get pulled over, then do the Police Station Trick. Many times they took me off the Expressway towards the airport, because I was "speeding". When I asked them how fast I was, they couldnt answer but asked me to pay 400THB. By telling them that you would rather prefer to pay it at the police station and that you would like them to go with you, they always ( ....in all the cases I had) refuse to do that and let you go. For me the station would be Laksi and nobody want to go there. The other solution I have is, using 2 wallets whereby I leave one in the car not having more than a 100THB inside, which I can show them. Soon they realize that I am so poor and there is no tea money to make ( a Thai Police Guy would never let you go with an empty wallet. Somehow they feel bad about this).So they let me go...

Sure, everybody has his tricks and knows how to deal with them. You can also play stupid and speak italian, like I do. Once I showed a guy my Blue Cross Insurance Card and told him that this is the license we use back home. :grinyes: He believed it.

Well, hope this helps a bit. However, leave the car at home when you are out and drinking. :nono:Cheers

Archived