Free SMS Yahoo Messenger to Thai

think_too_mut

Following a post in this section, I started sending SMSs to my gf from my PC.

They arrive instantly and her response comes to my PC screen.

While in BKK, I checked her mobile bills for two months, no record of SMS charges, not even for her response.

It's hard to believe nobody is paying. How does this work?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Just tried out the above.

Of course, I cannot add the number that I want. The Yahoo messanger tells me the number is not part of their "mobile message partners", although the number I'm trying is on AIS. According to Yahoo both AIS and DTAC are compatible operators. Grrr... :banghead:

>In any case, is the following the service you're referring to?

http://asia.mobile.yahoo.com/sms/y2sms/index.php

Yes, that's it. I had to use it as I can't send SMSs from my mobile (the company I work for discontinued that service and switched to email for mobile).

I carefully examined her bills for last two months, believe me, no trace. Compared them with the bills when she was sending SMSs to me and that space is blank now. She is with AIS.

As the number of countries you can send SMSs to is limited (for example, how comes Thai is there and Japan is not), I also tend to believe Yahoo recover their cost through some other agreement with participating telcos.

>The Yahoo messanger tells me the number is not part of their "mobile message partners",

just testing this out today. Bugger me, it actually work! It did get me a while to get the number rigt though, so you may want to play around a bit, what worked for me was leaving off the first "0" in the number.

I did see at some point in it, that *sending* was free (and receiving) but that *responding* to the sms costs money..not sure why the other posters g/f was not billed (as yet maybe.....).

Anyway, now trying for other countries in the list...if it all works, way cool.

-j-

it seems to me only the 01 or perhaps also the 09 numbers work. my 05 dtac prepaid definitely doesn't work :banghead:

as to the pricing it sounds unreal with free outgoing sms's as the mobile replies to the messenger as in MSN usually both receiving & sending incurs a charge, which usually is higher than normal sms rate :dunno:

:hug::beer::bow::up::applause::grinyes:

I'll be damned...It works. Thanks.....

AT&T wireless does not service Thailand for SMS. This is great, although will need to know if g/f is being charged.

HT

ib 13, are you saying that this service is available in MSN Messenger as well? Where can I find it? Sounds to good to be true if it is free!!! After all there is no such thing as a free lunch - well not that I have come across yet!!! :)

Archived