Thai citizenship

dreamer

fly,

Is the work permit a firm requirement? How about 3 years as a retiree?

Or does this mean that a retiree can never attain permanent residency?

Grabii

flyonzewall said:

after three consecutive years on a nonimm with workpermit you are entitled to apply for permanent residency. ...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the requirement is 3 years on a Non-Imm type B visa, which does mean that a retiree on a type O would not be eligible. IMHO, the Permanent Resident status is aimed at long time business types. I only know 2 people with PR's and both got them over 10 years ago while working for large multi-nationals as long term senior executives. By the way, you still have to have a work permit with the PR.

TH

>>>IMHO, the Permanent Resident status is aimed at long time business types.<<<

not only. for people who one day might want to apply for thai citicenship PR is the only way.

i am seriously thinking of applying for PR soon (if i can get the money together), but i'm not a business type.

but so far i have no plans to ever apply for thai citicenship - there are (especially now) a few things which would make it more than difficult for me to identify with the thai nation.

just wanna have that bit more added security, and leave my options open.

I was basing that on discussions with the 2 people I know that have PR status. Both of them are business types and the only people they have know of getting it are also successful business types. This may have something to do with the fact that these dicussion tookk place after a round of golf at the Bangkok Sports Club, which both of these gentlemen belong to.

Did you know many people that have obtained PR status?

Good luck when you apply.

TH

i know several, they are from all walks of life (obviously not english teachers without workpermit :p).

i even have a friend who got thai citicenship. and i know a few oldtimers who were fortunate enough to get a lifelong workpermit when they were granted many years ago.

problem though with PR is the new fees payable upon approval - 90 something thousand when married to a thai national, nearly 200 grand when single. :eek:

i think one guy i know has got it recently, but i'm not sure, it's been a while .

i have heard the same thing, but also that that now PR's are given as usual.

i have heard several reasons for the backlog, ranging from some xenophobe not signing to some thai typical interdepartmental rivalries.

Archived