Thai citizenship

dreamer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after three consecutive years on a nonimm with workpermit you are entitled to apply for permanent residency. if granted, you can after ten years apply for thai citicenship, which might take several years to come through.

pros: you can legaly own land, can vote, etc. but it can be taken away if convicted of a crime.

cons: well, you are thai, you have the same problems thais have in applying for visas for foreign countries if your birthcountry demands to resign from your citicenship when you adopt another citicenship.

and, you have to be able to pass a test equivalent of a mor 3 education, i believe. so, it basically is just for someone who has no doubts whatsoever that he/she wants to spend the rest of his/her life in thailand.

An interesting sidenote is that in the European countries in the Schengen treaty any Thai citizen can become an Italian (a German, a French, a Spanish etc.) national after just 6 years of residency or only 3 years if they marry an EU national.

You might think that also in Thailand marrying a Thai speed up the process for you too but... NO.

Or, better said, if you are a woman who marries a Thai man you are indeed granted a preferential treatment, if you are a man who marries a Thai woman you gain NO SPECIAL RIGHT.

After all, you are marrying just an insignificant worthless female, not a Thai Man.

Talibans & C. would love it.

Ciao, FIGJAM.

P.S. Where are those f*cking NGOs and obsessed feminazists when we need them?

BelgianBoy said:

Its 5 years to become citizen, 3 years if married.

Yes, a typo! :p

And it's 4 years instead of 5 if the applicant is a EU citizen (e.g. a German becoming French after 4 years of residence in France) and the 3 years (if married) I was talking about become ONLY 6 MONTHS if the couple are married from at least 6 months and residing in the country for whose citizenship the spouse is applying for!

(in other words those 3 years are meant only for couple got married and residing abroad: a Thai can become, after 3 years legally married to an EU national, a German/French/Italian/etc. without even ever having visited Germany/France/Italy!!)

Ciao

Jimmie Blonde said:

Can dutch people hold dual citizenship legally? ie, do they loose there Dutch if they inform the officials they have just become Indian citizens?

JB

I don't know, EU countries haven't yet completely harmonized their laws on the matter so each country still has a different orientation on the dual citizenship issue.

Italy allows it, I don't know about Holland.

In the studies for the future harmonization of the different members' regulations the tendency is to allow dual citizenship.

Ciao

BelgianBoy said:

Dont forget one has to APPLY to get citizenship, its not automatically granted......

Of course, that's why I have been talking about applicants and applying ... :neener:

Anyway, it's interesting to note that in the past some EU countries (Italy, for example) granted *automatic* Italian citizenship upon marriage with an Italian national. Or that in some western countries (USA, for example) citizenship is granted by the simple fact that one's birth took place on US soil, no matter what the citizenship of the parents was, while in Europe that is not true.

Ciao

Archived