A depressing trip - November 2003

Last summer I had decided to have a great birthday bash in November. That turned out to be my most miserable trip to Thailand, so far. :(

On the afternoon after my arrival I popped into Beer Garden Soi 7 to see if there were any gems to be seen. It was quite busy so I had to sit down between two not very attractive ladies. I was quietly drinking my beer and trying to take in the scenery without giving offense to anyone when the lady on the left suddenly asks in a rather truculent manner if I'm an English teacher! I was rather offended to be considered an obvious cheapskate (?), when it should have been blindingly obvious that I was a well-heeled sex tourist on the prowl. At that point I decided it was not a good day to pick up company in BG7.

In the evening after my arrival I went to Pretty Lady (NEP) to look up my regular, but - not unexpectedly - she had already been barfined. In the end I ended up barfining a rather cute number from Hollywood Carousel. The sex was something of a disaster: I just could not come, which gets really frustrating and tiresome real fast. It did not help much that the cutie was not making an effort despite her lewd behaviour in the bar. I paid up and shoved her out before 1am.

The next evening I managed to catch up with my regular from Pretty Lady. I was quite upset when she told that it was OK to barfine her but she did not want to sleep with me! No deal... She did not even bother with any excuses like having her period, but bluntly told that she has "sek" everyday and did not want to have any with me. If I'm honest, I guess I cannot blame her, since there are obviously much better partners for horizontal dancing. This did not exactly enhance my mood, especially since I seemed to be sinking into a bout of depression - probably as a consequence of the very stressful weeks before my vacation.

On the night of my birthday I decided to give myself a real treat and went to Poseidon 2000 based on the very positive

reports I had seen on the board. I was quite disappointed when the fabled Model Lounge did not seem to have anything really worthwhile on offer. I spotted only one girl who I considered very attractive, but she was all the time busy with Asian customers. Maybe the problem was that I had arrived too late, around 8pm, and all the best talent had been snatched away. The fishbowl downstairs was also mostly empty and did not contain anything really interesting. As a backup plan I went to Gulliver's (Soi 5), but did not have any luck there, either. I even bought a beer to one pretty girl without any better response than it would have produced back home. She mentioned that she usually goes to Angels' Disco, which kind of explains her cool behaviour: I have been to Angels' a few times and the girls there have always given me the cold shoulder.

After that it seemed like a good idea to spend the rest of my holiday concentrating on playing pool and drinking too heavily... I had been shooting pool in Morning2Night (NEP) - quite good tables and not too hot, and not too busy in the afternoons. They also had quite a few very attractive girls working as hostesses. (Unfortunately these were all gone when I visited again in December.) It was also interesting to see one off-duty Angelwitch dancer holding court with her colleagues and showing off at the pool table. She seems to have done well - now she was literally dripping with gold unlike last August when I ended up making a crazy two-day trip to her home in Isaan. She is a nasty girl in more than one sense - good luck to her boyfriend(s).

One of the Morning2Night hostesses seemed to take a fancy in me over a couple of days. She had a pretty face, but was quite a number of kilos too heavy. (Why is it always these fat girls who seem to fancy me? I guess they like that I appear even fatter...) She was very polite so I did not mind a lot, even when she became quite a tease as time went on. On the third day she declared that she will sleep with me the next day. I laughed it off as just more teasing, but the next day she set up a meeting after she finished work at 7pm (to avoid the barfine). She wanted to go to meet friends and play pool at Soi 22, but I was not keen to go that far. As a compromise we went to the Blue Wave pool bar below the Privilege no-hands restaurant. I did not like the ambience at all. The live band was pretty good and the singer was quite a hot lady, but the idea of a live band seemed somehow inappropriate in a pool bar... The service also appeared quite poor and I hated the lighting at the pool tables. It was interesting to see a couple of quite stunning and nicely dressed Thai ladies (from Privilege?) chatting happily with a couple of young and rather scruffy backpacker types. I wish I had discovered Thailand 20 years ago...

After a short while we moved on to Soi 22 and had a much better time, first playing pool and then going to a karaoke place. (I did not sing, in case you wonder...) To my surprise the hostess from Morning2Night really ended up in my bed. An interesting set of piercings - from her tongue to her clit. Too bad I was not up to her demands in bed. That must have been the lowest point during my trip. I decided to ditch her at that point - she was better off with some other guy since she seemed to be looking for "The Boyfriend Experience". That may have been the reason why she did not seem to be keen to pick up her fee in the morning and appeared quite angry when I did not want to spend time with her any more.

The final four days of my trip I concentrated on playing pool, drinking and being depressed. I ended up spending most of the time in a Soi 22 beer bar where the most attractive girl was not barfinable and the others paled in comparison to her. Not thinking about getting laid made life somewhat more bearable.

I ran across a couple of memorable characters in Morning2Night. One was a Belgian at most in his early thirties who had been spending a one-year sabbatical in Thailand. He looked very fit and extremely happy. Another one was a young guy (also Belgian) who had recently arrived with a couple of his friends. He had found a girlfriend on his first night and considered her "very sweet". I wonder why I never seem to meet girls like that. :(

Another interesting character was a Thai girl that I met for the first time a year ago working on Soi 33. She claimed to have also a daytime office job and to study on the weekends. Clearly an enterprising girl who appeared to be looking for a boyfriend, so I steered well away from her to avoid trouble... Subsequently I have seen her a few times at Gulliver's and on the sidewalk of Sukhumvit Road in the wee hours. I ran across her at Gulliver's when I was waiting for a friend to show up. I decided to buy her a drink and have a chat to pass the time. It turned out that she was about to go to USA on a fiancee visa. Nice that you still can find people who have the guts to believe in true love.

That was the November trip. Little did I know, but the trip in December was to be even less eventful...

Wagner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wagner,

Sorry to hear that the trip was a bit disappointing, however at the end of the day it is in your hands and we all make our own entertainment.

You did well to drop the silly girl who wanted to be barfined but didnt want sex, she was being very cheeky....

In hindsight I would have stuck with the girl with the piercing... You could have gone off and enjoyed some of what Bangkok has to offer...

I find walking from bar to bar, Go Go to Go Go trying to find that elusive stunner frustrating and a waste of time.

STH

>In hindsight I would have stuck with the girl with the piercing...

>You could have gone off and enjoyed some of what Bangkok has to offer...

Yeah, but it was obvious that she would not have been enjoying herself. It really would not have been fair, especially since she clearly was a nice girl. Of course, I would have been paying, but farangs paying some money are a dime a dozen in BKK - there are also guys who are additionally fun company.

Wagner

Wagner,

It sounds to me that you were already depressed before coming to the LOS. Maybe your problems this trip were due to your emotional malaise and were broadcast to most you came in contact with, making for a less than enjoyable time. As someone here already said, it takes two to tango, so if you aren't in a fun mood, others around you sense this and become less "fun" themselves. Maybe some antidepressants next trip before coming over. :p You sound very down and negative. This does express itself to others. Call it a "vibe" that surrounds you and makes for more negative experiences to gravitate to you. Sounds like you were in a mood to begin with, no?

Dumping the lass who wanted you to barfine her but give no sex was a smart move. Why the hell should you even consider doing so? :: Sounds like she wanted a holiday from the boom boom at your expense as her personal walking ATM. Not a win situation for yourself it'd seem I feel.

Hope your next trip over turns out better. Maybe you should go with a friend or two you enjoy hanging out with next trip. Going alone can sometimes be depressing while having no one to "distract" you from gloomy thoughts. Bring along a partying type of friend and enjoyu your holiday. Forget the women other than as an addition to the sanuk. Forget forming a relationship or "bond" and just enjoy the party and sex. Just MHO.

Everyone has some down periods that can affect their sanuk and holiday. As much as that does suck! ::

Cent

I was trying to formulate a response but Cent beat me to it and expressed my thoughts almost exactly, but with much more eloquence than I can muster at the moment.

You sound like a nice bloke who has had a shit time and like Cent says, this can and does communicate itself to others around you.

A change of environment can lift a mood but it is not a given. Sometimes it can compound feelings of loneliness and inadequacy. I know this from my own experience. Sometimes I have looked around a hotel room, looked at myself in a mirror and said 'What the fuck are you doing mate?' It passes - sometimes. People are different.

Having a few friends to share experiences with is an excellent idea. You don't have to hang out with them 24/7. Just have an agreed meeting point for a drink every day, somewhere where you can all laugh at each others errors and mistakes - and of course share the good stuff as well!

IMHO - the best thing about this board is the people that I have met through it. You don't necessarily have to import your own mates. You get a feel through the board for those people who you might 'click' with (well, I do) and so arranging to meet in Bangkok for a beer or whatever can lead to some great friendships that transcend the whole 'coming to Thailand for a great shag' stuff.

Oh - and I know that it was tongue in cheek - but ADs can be a real nightmare, especially coming off them. The sudden change in your surroundings married with withdrawal can be quite frightening. There can be other errr...physical side-effects as well.

Cheer up mate - look to the future. You're going to look back on all this and laugh. Annoying as it is to be told this it doesn't make it any less true.

Carew,

Well said mate! I agree that this board is a great way to meet new people, and to have like-minded souls to hang out with and chum around to the bars and other venues with. But, to some this just isn't their way. They aren't the socializing type. Some are just shy. But I do agree this is a great thing to do, and I subscribe to it myself. But it can be better to bring along a "known" quantity of a friend from the old sod. Someone you usually have a good time with anyway. There are a lot of ways to beat the blues and help ensure yourself a fun holiday.

Cent

while i may have met a few of the London Contingent,i would not have liked to accompany them on their latest jaunt to LOS.

i have no problems travelling up and sinking a few Beers every few weeks,but days on end with people would blow my mind.

i'm a loner when in LOS and like to do my own thing whenever i want.

ok,it doesn't always mean a good time,but my good times far outweighed the bad times.

Hi Wagner,

I know it is hard to leave the swamp of depression without any input from outside. At home it is much harder than in holiday, but even in holiday the sun is not always shining.

If the gogo scene did not work for you during the trip, I wonder why you didn't left the scene for a few days for short trip to the north, to Samui or some other place to get new impressions. Only pool and booze would definitely not of any help for me. NOT to try desperately to have sex for a few days with a "special" girl can have a very relaxing impact. After a trip to another town or into the countryside, maybe would have felt better radiation much more positive vibrations, which

would lead you more joyful experiences.

My experience: If I am in a very bad mood, i.e. being depressed, usually I don't have many positive contacts during this period. As you know, if you smile at people, the people smile back at you and enjoy your company, if you can't smile.....

sayjann, you've missed my point completely!

The London Contingent (whoever they may be - you? Fiery Jack? LaoHuli? I'm fucked if I know) aren't some sort of a 'gang' - as you well know.

We just happen to be people who go to Thailand at the same time. We don't live in each other's pockets. That would be ridiculous bordering on the childish. However, it does form a sort of 'self help' group, be it in Thailand or in the UK.

And that is the point, and what I was trying to draw attention to from Wagner's original post. Just knowing a few people that you can touch base with on a regular basis is healthy and desirable IF - repeat IF - you find yourself a little adrift in all the madness.

ib13 - you are just a nutter anyway so you are excluded from this debate ;) ;)

...and The Clash are still over-rated!!!

See ya in the King Zed

Archived