Motorcycle riding in Pattaya, is it safe ?

hornydude

Hi all,

It is me again, hornydude. I am now super horny dude who can't wait to go to LOS !!!

I wonder if anyone of you rented and rode a motorcycle in Pattaya. If you did, what do you think of the safety riding a motorcycle in Pattaya ? Please give me suggestions and your insights, thank you very much !!!

Super Hornydude

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wear a helmet.No matter how many other fools you see without 1 .There have been a few motorcycle threads over the last couple of months, maybe you could do a search , & there are a couple of riders from pattaya on the board , or at least 1 , hopefully they can answer more specifically.

Take care. smile.gif" border="0

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: zoot ]

If you're seriously going to do it then take your own leathers and lid. I've seen a couple of bikers with their own kit.

You can get silly Japanese choppers and of course sports bikes, like baby Blades. They all look the dogs proverbials. However, I wouldn't trust their reliability or maintenance. I've ridden mopeds in VN and Thailand and there are always a couple of niggly things with them that you don't find out until you ride them, for instance the fuel gauge shows a half full tank and it runs out, the indicators don't work, the saddle hinge is secured with wire or only one brake works.

In Ptty they rent out huge monster trucks which can be fun if you fill it with bar girls and feel like looking like a berk, (personally, it sort of comes naturally to me.)

Even with the big jeeps you need to watch out. Firstly the "insurance" documentation is often a badly photocopied sheet of paper. Now if you think reading English small print is bad then imagine how difficult reading Thai small print is. And, if like most of us, you don't read Thai then you ain't got a clue what they give you. It could be instructions on how to use your new sex aid.

Again the jeeps are poorly maintained. We filled up with juice and the fugger started pissing it out all over the garage forecourt as there was a leak in the tank. Even with a trail of petrol behind us back to the hirer it was a case of mai pen rai TIT etc.

So do it, if you really want to but beware that you will also be a target for the local busies for tickets. They will ignore other illegally parked Thai vehicles and go for the farang tourist's wheels. Outside a restaurant were a number of cars which had been there for ages. We were in the eaterie for all of 10 minutes but our jeep was the open top variety. The traffic cop wound a line of chain around the steering wheel despite us coming out straight away and offering politely to move it immediately. After he'd gone we drove it, dangerously, around the corner to a parking lot. Having nothing to break the links with we decided to pay the fine which involved a taxi ride down to the police station on beach road and another ride back with a cop in tow to unlock the chain.

Hmmn, riding a motorbike in pattaya? Gah! When I was in pattaya, the motorbikes were weaving through traffic everywhere. They were also pretty insanely fearless. A go-go girl I took out had a motorbike and asked if I wanted to ride with her back to my hotel. HELL NO! I'm not gonna die in pattaya riding a motorbike. Earlier that nite at the club, she gleefully showed me this huge fucking gash on her leg from crashing on her motorbike. If you're a pretty good motobike rider and can drive defensively, go for it. I'm sure it'd be like a rollercoaster ride + demolition derby, probably a blast for some. smile.gif" border="0

no chance mate. you can ruin your holiday on these bikes. if you insist, do the following:

have baht to pay for the motorcycle when you wreck.

have more baht to pay off the thai you 'run into'

carry your medical records with you. they will come in handy. shocked.gif" border="0

Fact is that there are shocking (to us) numbers killed and maimed in Pattaya and Phuket every month, includes fair share of farangs. But MC riding CAN be reasonably safe in Thailand if the proper safety measures are used together with a defensive attitude. I ride a 1,100 cc sport bike as do another couple of members of this board. The only scares I have had have been my own fault, Thai drivers are usually pretty concious of MC riders and my bikes have a permanent front light on so I'm easily seen. I wouldn't be with out my bikes here but I cringe when I see some of the "Mucho Macho Pattaya men" Riding around with plastic helmets and singlets touring from bar to bar on their rented CBR400 . Jesus ! Just asking for it.

My vote: F*cking dangerous. And, I'm a risk taker. (Though, I must admit that I don't go so far as to eat hooker p*ssy.)

I know one (great) expat who has been killed in 1999, and one Thai--March 2001--who has been severely disabled from a motorcycle accident. Really, it is some dangerous shit. If you ride for any length of time, you will start to take a chance here and there. DON'T GET STARTED. frown.gif" border="0

Hey Man -

Fucking A! I just wrote out this huge-ass post and lost all the freaking work when I went to check a URL address. I f'ing hate to re-write this shit, but I will only 'cause I like bikes.

First off, go and check out Kh. Chanchao's post in the General Discussion forum on how to safely drive while in the Kingdom. Great, great post. I asked some questions about riding bikes over there and they were all answered. Do yourself a favor and read it.

I've only been riding for 2 years but I'm completely mad about bikes. I can't wait until I have the dosh to buy me a Fat Boy and take it to Thailand. Harley is America's bike, but I bet Thais love them as well. Did you ever see Arrrnold in Terminator 2 Judgement Day? That was a Harley, dude.

But for right now I ride a gorgeous, sexy, freaky, red-on-white, dope-ass 600cc Honda F4i sportbike. It's stupid fast, and provides a better high than any drink or drug can ever give you. The adrenelin hits are natural and free, provided you remember to bring your balls with you.

Speed is something you may want to hold in check while over in Siam. From what Kh. Chanchao says, it's not the speed per se, but road conditions that can go from good to shiite in an instant. Not good when you're on 2 wheels.

I also agree with the other posters that if you're really serious about riding, you ought to bring your own bike and kit. Trust no one. Do you really want a drive chain to snap off when you're at full lean? "Mai bpen rai" doesn't mean squat when you're being shovelled off the asphalt.

There's also a Thai scam I heard about when renting bikes as opposed to bringing your own. Someone will see your rented scoot outside some club, hotel or restaurant. They'll call up the rental shop, who will send someone out with a duplicate key. While you're inside having a good ol' time, the rental shop will pick up your bike, then ask you to pay for it when you report it stolen. Nice.

As far as wearing kit goes, nothing will protect you if you're hit head on by a wasted driver crossing over the line. But for all other spills, you really ought to wear a helmet, boots, gloves, and full leathers. Back protectors are good, too. Of course, the only problem with wearing so much kit is the high temps and humidity, so your enjoyment will be tempered as you sweat your nads off. It's your choice, but there's a website you may want to check out http://www.motocoolstuff.com/ They sell special inner liners NASA used to have astronauts wear. Even though you'll be fully aware of how hot it is, the liners fully absorb and dissipate your sweat. Not perfect, but better than getting road rash should you fall with T-shirt and jeans.

Here in Florida, I ride in a fairly large group, about 200 - 300 sportbikes usually, and many of the guys wear absolutely nothing save for a helmet. The truly idiotic strap their helmet onto their pillion seat. Others have their girlfriends ride with them, clad in halter tops and sandals. As for Harley dudes, no one really wears any head protection, not even beanies. It's completely fucked, becuase if the bike spits you off and your grape hits the pavement, well, you'll probably be next up for that next Memorial Run.

After reading and thinking about what everyone has said, I don't think riding bikes in Thailand can be that much more dangerous than riding anywhere else. The risks of riding bikes are not limited to geographical boundaries. You take a chance going to the hospital or morgue any time you swing a leg over. Did you hear what happened to Lauren Hutton? The key is to just stay focussed and refrain from stupidity. Ride within your limits, and the limits offered by the road. America has just as many drunk drivers as Thailand, so just be aware of your surroundings. Remember, you're the invisible man out there. Don't dwell on the negative, just be careful.

Oh, as far as the good, Kh. Chanchao said Thai cops generally don't mind you doing wheelies and stoppies (probably so long as you don't do them in traffic). That clinched it for me. Crate that bitch up!

pjacktpa,

In no way is this a flame, but you are way off base. You've been riding motorcycles all of two years? I've ridden dirtbikes since I was a kid, does that even factor in? Nope. I live in the united states of america, as do you. We have strict guidelines on traffic here. When is the last time you've seen 3 cars try to cram into one lane in tampa? That shit goes on a daily basis in bangkok and actually alot in asia. Traffic safety is horrendous in LOS.

There's something someone told me that made me realize the "mentality" in the kingdom. You know how in america, pedestrians have right of way on signal lights and crosswalks, or even the concept of "right of way"? That is almost non-existent there.

Someone told me this story of this farang crossing the street. The walk sign was green and so he walked. This car basically ignores the guy and pummels over him. The guy gets sent to the hospital and gets ticketed. He also has to pay for the damages to the guy who ran him over. His hood got dinged. Supposedly, the philosophy is this, car is bigger, man is smaller, car has right of way. Also, to a degree. Man with car has more money/power. Guy who's walking obviously don't.

Another thing, when you said that drivers are conscious of motorbikes, i'm sorry, LOL! I've ridden in cabbies who'd cut off buses in bangkok!

Personally, I wouldn't risk myself in riding a motorbike while on vacation in a foreign land. It's just not worth the risk. Feeling confident riding motorbikes in america does NOT = being competent riding in LOS, period.

If you do want to ride a motorbike, I'm sure there is some off road trails or even the highway would be safer than riding in city traffic.

some official info:

quote:

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: While in a foreign country, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. The information below concerning Thailand is provided for general reference only, and may not be totally accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

Safety of Public Transportation: Good

Urban Road Conditions/Maintenance: Good

Rural Road Conditions/Maintenance: Good

Availability of Roadside Assistance: Poor

Traffic moves on the left in Thailand. The city of Bangkok has heavy traffic composed of motorcycles, cars, trucks, buses, and three-wheeled "tuk-tuks." For safety, and to avoid jaywalking fines, pedestrians should use overhead walkways whenever possible.
Accidents are common, and those involving motorcycles can be particularly deadly. The U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that Americans refrain from riding motorcycles. In 2000, 4 Americans were killed in traffic accidents in Thailand, 3 of whom were riding motorcycles; during the first nine months of 2001, there were 5 American traffic deaths in Thailand, 2 involving motorcycles. Use of motorcycle helmets is mandatory, but this law is seldom enforced. Congested roads and a scarcity of ambulances can make it difficult for accident victims to receive timely medical attention.
Paved roads connect Thailand's major cities, but most have only two lanes. Slow-moving trucks limit speed and visibility. Speeding and reckless passing in all regions is common. Consumption of alcohol, amphetamines and other stimulants by commercial drivers is also common. In recent years, there have been serious bus crashes involving foreign passengers on overnight bus trips; one of these crashes resulted in fatalities. Motorists may wish to obtain accident insurance that covers medical and liability costs.
The more affluent driver, even if not at fault, is frequently compelled to cover the expenses of the other party in an accident.

--from the US department of state

Don't you just love that last sentence.

blush.gif" border="0

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: tyler_durden ]

Archived