Motorcycle riding in Pattaya, is it safe ?

hornydude

Yo Tyler -

Thanks for the post. Yes, no doubt, I know riding 2 years isn't squat. I still don't know diddly. Guess that's why I like to ride with more experienced guys (and gals).

I believe that, generally speaking, riders are much better drivers than cagers. In order to survive and actually enjoy your ride, you constantly have to be aware of your surroundings. You can't be out there day dreaming.

Seems to me it's quite the zoo over there as far as driving goes. I didn't realize people and bikes were so low on the food chain. Maybe my best bet is like you say, just do some motocross or else use the race track over at Cholburi.

After coming back from Daytona for the 3rd time, I keep noticing such a great difference between the cruiser and the sportbike crowds. I don't think you can kick back and ride a Harley in LOS like you do here in America. But have you ever ridden with a pack of sportbikes? Cars, cops, and cruisers all hate us, mostly, but this is deserved in many respects. Maybe that's why I felt somewhat up to the challenge of riding over there. But thanks for the heads up, bro'. Keep the rubber side down!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also agree, wear a helmut no matter what.

I would suggest ( since I've done it this way) is have ur gf ( find one that has her own bike) ( oh yes, not too many scars from accidents on her)) do the driving. all the little quirks about thai driving/traffic are part of her life, and not something you want to find out about the hard way.

also, the girls are more fun to grip than the handle bars.

hehe pasathai,

The girl in my reports who wanted me to ride on her motorbike was petite. She was probably 5'5" and weighed about 100lbs. I on the other hand am 5'11" and 190lbs. I think it'd be a very strange sight to see me grabbing onto this small girl on a motorbike. Plus the scars she showed me didn't help any. tongue.gif" border="0

tyler_durden:

Seeing scars are not encouraging ( especially if they are fresh)

almost all of the bike travel I have done

( not really that much, just all over phuket) was in the back ( or middle a few times, which make me both the groper and gropee). It was always a lot of fun.

One time it was raining ( of course it waited till we were well on our way) and I was the one in the middle. looked kinda strange when we finally stopped at a sandwhich stand. 2 girls, one wet in front, one wet in back, and me wet on the sides.

lady in the shop said "french dip" I said "no, American" a little too late I figured out it was actually a sandwhich shop, that being the special of the day.

I Can only recall a few near accidents, but there was no wild driving involed ( By us of course), just unforseen cars entering from side streets ( fields in one case) and more than once "crap" falling from an uncovered load on a truck.

one time we got 4 ppl on a vespa type scooter and took over an hour to get from patong to karon. seemed like the exaust smoke was ahead of us most of the time. great fun.

also, getting someone else ( preferbly a tg) to do the driving/ less chance of hassell with rental scams, bike being ripped off, ect.

I have noticed with the big bikes ( a few in patong) the ppl that have them tend to be a little reckless. ( macho?) maybe the added hp brings it out.

With a little "wimpy" bike we ( me anyway) are less apt to do something foolhardy.

the few times I did drive myself ( in Sakon Nakon, nakon Phanom) I always seemed to drift over to the wrong

( hey, right for me anyway) side of the road.

when I did, I got waved at. ( beeped/flashed too)

(told my friend in the west I would have gotten the finger for sure, she said this worse, got all 5 fingers).

In nakon phanom got chased by some chickens

( maybe the could not afford dogs) while riding through. and I always thought chickens were timid. my friend said "chicken never see farang b4 and want close look"

Damn, I miss it.

Hey,

been riding for years, had a motorcycle (atually have 2) for 5 years. and still riding.

accidents: 3

injuries: 1 (tibial plateau fracture)70,000 baht 3 days in hospital. 2 months on crutches/cane. use of limb 90%

number of times at fault: 0

number of resprays: 4

number of times hit by taxis while not moving:1

ratioinale: I live in Bangkok, and have had way too many close calls while on the back of motorcyle taxis, often the only way of getting from a to be in under an hour. I decided that it would be better to take responsibility and drive myself.

I spend alot of time outside of bangkok on the bike though and highly reccomend leathers, but would say that outside bkk surrounding areas the danger is comparatively minimal. I frequent sneak onto the expressway between bkk pattaya and can get to pattay in about 1hr 15 min door to door depending on how long it takes to get through bkk to the expressway.

once you are on the expressway, 50 mins to an hour and you are there.

Arguments against riding in thailand are certainly compelling, unfortunately for those who love to ride sportbikes the arguments are almost equally compelling: no discernable speed limit, no rain (usually), cops that can be blown off for 100-200 baht, hot weather makes for super sticky tires.

it is a trade off, but one i find worth it.

PS my friend just shattered his elbow -- at bira circuit Pattaya. you pays your money you takes your chances.

If you do rent in pattaya, be a bitch. suss the bike out well - your life depends upon it. I have seen guys cutting treads into bald tires to make them look "good".

bkk_nsr

Hey,

been riding for years, had a motorcycle (atually have 2) for 5 years. and still riding.

accidents: 3

injuries: 1 (tibial plateau fracture)70,000 baht 3 days in hospital. 2 months on crutches/cane. use of limb 90%

number of times at fault: 0

number of resprays: 4

number of times hit by taxis while not moving:1

ratioinale: I live in Bangkok, and have had way too many close calls while on the back of motorcyle taxis, often the only way of getting from a to be in under an hour. I decided that it would be better to take responsibility and drive myself.

I spend alot of time outside of bangkok on the bike though and highly reccomend leathers, but would say that outside bkk surrounding areas the danger is comparatively minimal. I frequent sneak onto the expressway between bkk pattaya and can get to pattay in about 1hr 15 min door to door depending on how long it takes to get through bkk to the expressway.

once you are on the expressway, 50 mins to an hour and you are there.

Arguments against riding in thailand are certainly compelling, unfortunately for those who love to ride sportbikes the arguments are almost equally compelling: no discernable speed limit, no rain (usually), cops that can be blown off for 100-200 baht, hot weather makes for super sticky tires.

it is a trade off, but one i find worth it.

PS my friend just shattered his elbow -- at bira circuit Pattaya. you pays your money you takes your chances.

If you do rent in pattaya, be a bitch. suss the bike out well - your life depends upon it. I have seen guys cutting treads into bald tires to make them look "good".

bkk_nsr

Hi there,

I ride here in the UK Honda 600 CBR and have done for approx 6 years.

Injuries to date, fractured collar bone!

Pattaya is not one of the better places to ride, but I truly believe the Thais are more considerate drivers than the are here in the UK. They are very calm and as one poster mentioned they are use to you.

Ko Samui and Phukett are good, not having to wear a lid is a great bonus, the wind in your hair and of course death being preferable to below the neck loss of function.

If your a competent driver go for it and get a big bike if not the Honda Dreams are good. Driving yourself is preferable to those moto taxi guys at night, having almost been killed coming back from excite with one of those guys!! laugh.gif" border="0

Yo Spirit -

I've been riding Honda's latest CBR offering, the F4i, or "Sport" model as it's called in Britain. Awesome, trick, dope bike.

Interesting what you said about checking out rather than spend your days in a wheelchair suffering the indignity of having your family wipe your ass every time you crap your diapers.

Are neck injuries that prevalent with riders?

I figured that with leathers and a helmet, you could possibly play rag doll while your bike cartwheels down the freeway. Of course, all bets are off in case of an impact injury. Is that what you're talking about?

Well, even with that danger I can't stop riding. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen...

BTW, with that 600 you've got, are you forced to stand up in order to do your 2nd gear wheelies? Some of the homeboyz here were showing me how to stick both my legs over the windscreen and THEN wheelie the bike, but I think the standup ones are safer. How do you get it up in 2nd?

Also BTW, SuperBike, Performance Bikes, and FastBikes magazines all freakin' rule man! Our bike rags SUCK compared to ones in the UK. Reason? Yup, you guessed it - lawyers. I haven't seen any Thai booty on a sportbike centerfold yet, but at least with you Brits there's hope yet...

Archived