Motorcycle riding in Pattaya, is it safe ?

hornydude

Hi Pjackpa,

Nice to meet a Honda appreciator like yourself. Yep I've had my newbike 3 months and love it.

I'm 6:1 and like you said have to stand up for proper wheelies.

Other than that, stability wise and brake wise its easily the best bike, so so much better than my previous.

My parents live up in Derbyshire in the North of England, this weekend I'm talking a trip up and fear it will be my last till April as the bad weather kicks in soon.

Regarding Leathers etc, yes they do protect you, if you have a clean fall and don't hit anything. Which of course doesn't happen, unless you are enjoying a track day!!!!

I have 1 friend who has lost the use of his left arm, severed all the nerves or something, and another who is paralysed from the waist down.

His accident happened about 11 years ago when he was 18.

Both of them consider themselves lucky, and so they are.

I envy the freedom you guys in America have,

If you're a grown man and of sound mind you should be able do away with your lid.

I know plenty of people whob have had small knocks pulling out etc not hearing etc because of he lid.

By the way my mates who have been seriously hurt, both times car drivers pulling out, not their error.

Regarding neck injuries, amoungst riders of fast bikes neck injuries and associated ailements seem very high, even when they haven't wrecked

When you consider the speeds attained and the g force around bends it takes its toll.

It really is worth investing in the lightest lid you can afford.

It's the strain on the neck caused by the lids which cause the problems.

I also know well one guy who has suffered serious whiplash like injuries; from a low speed fall due to the momentum gained, from the lid

If I could over here, I only would wear good leathers and a good set of Oakleys and a mouth protector " to stop the insects"

I'm hoping to retire soon and can't wait to get over to LOS with my bike, I'll take my own tools etc, unfortunately they don't seem to have heared about bike maintenance on the hire bikes!!

Regarding Thai birds and bikes the September just gone I saw 2 Thai stunning Thai girls on Fireblades buzzing up 2nd road in Pattaya wearing hot pants and a bra, both of them, what a sight stunning Thai girls straddling throbbing machines!!

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: spirit_of_town_hall ]

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: spirit_of_town_hall ]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by hornydude:

I wonder if anyone of you rented and rode a motorcycle in Pattaya. If you did, what do you think of the safety riding a motorcycle in Pattaya ? Please give me suggestions and your insights, thank you very much !!!

I actually learned to ride a motorcycle by jumping on one in Chiang Mai and going for a day-ride with an experienced friend. It was absolutely nuts at first, especially in the Chiang Mai traffic, but it's not rocket science and I quickly learned.

The key is to remember that you have about as much (or less) clout in traffic as a pedestrian. After all, you can move out of the way faster!

Ever since Chiang Mai I have rented bikes in Pattaya. Safety is all a relative concept. If you're used to people using their traffic signals, heeding right-of-way rules, and generally being sane, then you'll be in for a surprise. If you expect everyone to act like a complete idiot then you won't have too many problems.

The bikes all are in various conditions. Be sure to take the bike around the block a couple of times after you rent it and don't be afraid to return it in the event that something is wrong. Some of the bikes have awful clutches and brakes, but the owners won't usually divulge that information so it'll be up to you to make up your own mind.

Also, many of the bikes are syphoned to within a few miles of empty. As such, don't plan on taking a tour of Pattaya on your bike- go to the gas station and fill up right away.

The helmets suck and don't fit well. They are often more of a liability if they don't fit as they slip around while you are riding. Besides, I don't think a cheap plastic helmet will help much. I once saw a guy riding around wearing a kids' plastic American football helmet, complete with facemask! Best helmets are the full-face ones that some guys have. An option, if you care muchly about your noggin, is to go to Lotus and buy a cheap one there that you know fits well.

So the traffic is crazy, the bikes are often in poor condition, renting them can be a pain, and the helmets suck. Why rent? It's still very very fun, especially in Phuket.

I used to know of a place near Soi 11, Beach Road that had a red Yamaha R1 but it has since disappeared. Anyone know of a place renting R1s or R6s?

Cheers!

Saw an rented R1 disappearing in my mirrors last time was in Pattaya 3 weeks ago so obviously someone is renting at least one. A further comment about renting, Replacement parts are very expensive in Thailand and monay of the rental companies make their money by charging full price for broken bits if the bike comes back damaged as a young Brit who I was talking to Monday night found out. 45,000 baht for old Honda CBR400 that fell off its side stand. (Bike could be brought for about the same figure).

A word about replacment parts cost:

I think ( from what I have seen,done, been told)

its a big scam pulled on those that don't know whats going on.

There are places ( from mini shops to yards) piled high with bikes/parts/ acc. from wreaked bikes/ (cars/busses/mini-trucks too)

there is also a thriving trade of parts flowing in from lao, cambodia. malay.

When I was in Sakon nakon, there was one dealer for suziki in town, had a parts dept with really high prices. ( fender replacment about 8000 bt.) found out there were several mini-shops with the same parts. (not just used stuff) with the same items for about 1/3 the cost, and they were still making good $$ on the items.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a problem with a rental item, they will always

( the rental ppl) steer you twards the most expensive alternative. ( if you make a fuss and want to check around)

Same thing with car parts/service.

got quoted over 2000 bht to charge the air cond in a toyota truck. ( used r-12 freon still)

Got the guy that put in the house air cond to do it for 300 bt.

It really pays to shop around. ( and have someone to help you find stuff)

Yo Spirit -

I'm right with you, bro'. Yeah, I like the looks of Yamaha's R6, but it's too small and skittish for me (wheelies on a dime, though). Of course, Su-suck-i has the GSX-R600 which, in yellow and black, looks "the dogs bollocks" but is a little too race oriented, read: uncomfortable for me.

So it's the Honda, then. And why not? Read up on what goes on at the factory. Honda's rep is one of obsession with quality, detail and workmanship. Ever since the Hurricane came out back in '87, the CBR has been refined x-times over. It's been engineered to death, pretty much, which accounts for it's beauty as an all 'round bike and occasional track tool. You get what you pay for and much, much more. Mo' bike.

I'm awfully sorry to hear about your fellow homies. I don't even want to remember how many close calls I've had. But many were my own fault, due to lack of saddle time. You know, whenever people wonder, "Is it safe to ride in Thailand?", it has to be remembered that riding in itself is a terribly dangerous business, no matter where the locale. How many times have you approached a car stopped at a cross street up ahead, and as you come up to the intersection, beeping your horn, say this little mantra, "Oh please, don't you f-ing pull out on me..." because if it happens at the wrong time you're toast. This happens up by my place every time I go riding, right here in safe and sunny Florida (USA).

Your insight on helmets was an interesting read, but I think I'll stick to wearing one. It is a bit of a pain, really, especially in summertime when at times you sit in traffic, head baking, sweat streaming down the sides of your face, you just want to rip it off and hurl it to the ground. Peripheral vision definitely suffers, and you have to repeatedly shout your words out so folks can understand you. But I'll still wear one.

Some of the fellaz like to hook their helmet on to the hook under the seat and then go riding, um, to prove how brave and cool they are?

Then there's other guys, who have their $600 Haga race rep helmets on, but wear a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers, and no gloves. Huh? crazy.gif" border="0

If you're going for a suit, I suggest Spidi. They have an awesome one called the Hook which goes for about a grand (US). 'Course, if you've got enough cabbage socked away you can spring for a Dainese or Taichi race suit, pretty flash and all that, but at least you'll LOOK good as you're sliding down the boulevard! laugh.gif" border="0

We have some babes (lezbos too) that ride sportbikes (one even rides a 'Busa), and I couldn't agree with you more, they ARE a sight to see. There's a 16 year old blonde freshie that hangs off the back of my homie's R1 while he does 100 mph wheelies. Damn, Spirit, you ought to see that action. She just dumped her F4i riding boyfriend because he was too boring! Last thing, have you ever heard of Jamie Whitham putting together a 2 week holiday in Pattaya every year. Whit rides in SuperSport I think, and his club is called SpeedFreaks. See ya.

vtombrown said

My vote: F*cking dangerous. And, I'm a risk taker. (Though, I must admit that I don't go so far as to eat hooker p*ssy.)

--------

--definitely missing out on one of the great delicacies of the kingdom, vtom.

Depending on the length of time you will be staying, you may be better off buying a bike and reselling it. If you plan to come back on a regular basis, keep it stored here.

It is possible to register a bike on a 30 day tourist visa. All you need is the consulate form verifying a local address. Registration on an 850 costs me 600 baht, and insurance is about the same.

quote:

Originally posted by farangbaa:

vtombrown said

My vote: F*cking dangerous. And, I'm a risk taker. (Though, I must admit that I don't go so far as to eat hooker p*ssy.)

--------

--definitely missing out on one of the great delicacies of the kingdom, vtom.

OK, Vtom, you are starting to worry me, even considering you don't feel responsible for giving a girl all the pleasure she can get. So, tell us: What risk-taking you are talking about?

Moto riding is one of the great pleasures of being in Thailand, especially in Pattaya where there is so much action going on everywhere at all times and there's no way a taxi baht can even help you catch up with it. A bike will, actually the whole outlook of having a bike or a moped in LOS spells in one word: FREEDOM! Indeed, the first thing i do in any thai city i visit is to locate where i can rent a moped. If there are none, i'm gone the day after. Unlike what others say, riding can be safe outside of BKK, just don't ride drunk or believing you've just been proclaimed Emperor of Sanook as if nothing could happen to you. This said, motorcycle injuries are 5 times more common than car's, but that's a stat that applies around the world. Countless friends use a moped in Pattaya. Only one had a minor accident over hundreds of days riding in the kingdom: moi!

Frankly, Too many sissy answers on this thread, obviously not borne out of experience.

OK, I am back, Paris was great, and i met a cute jap girl on the plane next to me this morning. Who could ask for anything more (outside of LOS)?

Crash999,

quote:

I used to know of a place near Soi 11, Beach Road that had a red Yamaha R1 but it has since disappeared. Anyone know of a place renting R1s or R6s?

Last weekend I saw at least 5 x R1's available for rent near soi 13/4, all looked in good nick too, A couple complete with Carbon cans and other tasty stuff.

Archived