Khao Yai

Old Hippie

Spent a few days in Khao Yai some years ago (before they raised the farang price for national parks to 200b)

KY is beatifull and big. Drive to Saraburi and direction Khorat to Pak Chong. There you need to take a road to the right. Forgot how far it is to the park entrance, 30km maybe?

One day is not enough to get an idea of the park.

I stayed at a resort 10 km before park entrance, Juldis I think.

After the entrance the road goes up and up, the park itself is situated on a plateau. Grassfields, jungle, rivers, you have it all. You can have nice walks around park headquarters, but there are many trails at many places a few

km away from park hq. Basic lodging is possible around hq.

I saw many kinds of birds (especially the great hornbill but they are difficult to see) and elephant shit, no elephants. I suppose you need to be lucky.

I walked some of the trails, in the grassfields and the jungle, very impressive I must say. At one point I hit a big river and did not dare to cross. At an other place we heard big noise. When we came closer we found a small river and the noise came from thousands tods barking :D

You do need transportation to get into the park. Best to rent a car if you don't have one.

Archived