motorbikes lights on all the time, a new traffic r

thalenoi

This law was put into effect in malasia a year or two ago and motorbike accidents went down around 7% if I recall correctly.

That percentage doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with those lights. Let's wait for next year's statistics and the year after that.

Anyhow, I'm sure keeping those lights on will not be the cause of more accidents, so they might as well obey.

But if they want to realize a significant decrease then other measures should be taken, such as seperate lanes for these bikes. Impossible for the whole city of BKK, but definitely possible in the zillion smaller cities in Thailand.

Another measure could be the reduction of the amount of passenger on these bikes from 5 to 2.

There have been lots of helmet usage-checks since 2003 here upcountry which is also a very good thing.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here is what YOU said,

an alternator does not have a clutch on it (like a a/c compressor) and requires the same amount of energy to turn regardless of the electric load.

An electric load consumes ENERGY. That ENERGY is coming from the alternator. You said the ENERGY to turn the alternator is INDEPENDENT of the electric load. Obviously you have violated ENERGY conservation, ie getting more ENERGY out than input into the alternator. I hope you have patented this special alternator. :grinyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of compliance with this yet in Chiang Mai. Nice idea in theory but the bottom line is that this strikes me as yet another thing the cops can hassle motorbike riders about at the ubiquitous roadside checkpoints (e.g. helmet, license, registration, insurance) as opposed to actually doing anything about the behaviour that causes the legion of accidents (e.g. driving the wrong way down a one-way street, jumping red/green lights, etc.)

Archived