motorbikes lights on all the time, a new traffic r

thalenoi

I've been stopped before by the police types (upcountry) and told to turn off my lights.

What about when it rains during the day? Instinctively I will turn on the lights, but seems that this is not practiced very much here. Although during particularly hard rains you will notice the flashers come on very quickly.

Cheers!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GM's own study concluded:

"there is a minimal wiring cost in converting to DRLs, and a fraction of a mile fuel penalty (about $ 3 per year for the average driver)."

Certainly there are other things that waste a ton more gas like peoples obsession with giant SUV's, but DRL's just assure everyone is sucking just a little more gas, wasting more wire & bulbs. You would think there would be conclusive studies of effectiveness before adopting something of this magnitude, but it seems the verdict is not yet in. Among the potential positives, there are a lot of concerns about negatives that have nothing to do with environmental.

"GM's own study concluded:"

I don't suppose you have a link to that study you are quoting.

I still struggle to see how turning on lights uses any more fuel then having them off. To my knowledge, an alternator does not have a clutch on it (like a a/c compressor) and requires the same amount of energy to turn regardless of the electric load. I do agree that the light bulbs may have to be replaced more often.

TH

Zaad said:

...to minimize accidents: good to be seen.

Crap of course.

These lights will have no effect to their idiotic riding behavior.

That's not going to help to minimize accidents IMO.

Won't change driver behaviour, but will increase visiblity, which is a major problem for motorbikes. Especially at that critical time around sunset when everyone with headlights on is visible, everyone without is extremely hard to see. This law was put into effect in malasia a year or two ago and motorbike accidents went down around 7% if I recall correctly.

Of course I've got to wonder about enforcement/compliance, esp. outside BKK.

There is a reason that all motorbikes in the US, probably lots of other western countries too, have two settings for the headlights. Lowbeam and highbeam. There is no off.

I always leave my headlights on when on a motorbike in Thailand. It's funny though how so many people are quick to "help out" and tell you you have your headlights on during the day.

[color:"green"] To my knowledge, an alternator does not have a clutch on it (like a a/c compressor) and requires the same amount of energy to turn regardless of the electric load.[\b] [/color]

Wow! Now I can power a whole city electrical grid with my 125cc bike. :neener:

Archived