Int'l driving license (issued in Thailand)

Coloseum

So...given the unpredictablity of counter help its probably a good idea to have an Int'l Driving Permit with you even if you don't think its required. The last thing you need after a long airplane flight is the hassle of a $3.75/hour clerk refusing to rent you a car because he/she can't read your driving license.

RickF

suadum said:

I have rented cars in the States with both a Malaysian and a Thai driving license. No troubles at all. But I am a farang who speaks native English, if that had anything to do with it.

Cheers,

SD

It also depends on how much of a metropolital city you are in. I rented a can in New England (Avis). I said I wanted my Alaska Airlines miles for the rental. She broke out a map and explained I could not take the car into Canada and therefore couldn't drive to Alaska (like 8 thousand miles away)! I only had the car for 2 days. I explained it is Alaska Airlines frequent flier miles. How would she have reacted to a Thai license? No way would I have gotten a car with that!

ROTFLMAO!!! OK, you win. I was in the "on-site" Hertz lot at LAX...

I am constantly amazed that some people can get dressed in the morning let alone go to work (even if that work is renting cars)!

Are you returning anytime soon? Best to get back on that horse as you will go crazy dwelling on the past, bro'. Tho' it seems you are doing OK.

Cheers,

SD

suadum,

I am never going back again if you make me drink gin after the tequila at Cathouse. That night got strange for me after we parted company at Baccara.

But yeah, I will be back. 6 months from now I guess. Too much work travel coming up and a vacation to Spain with my daughter.

It may seem on this thread that I am dwelling, but I really am not. I think about it every day of course, but it isn't like I am tearing down photos and throwing curses to the west.

"It found it strange that Califoria does not require an International Drivers Permit for Thais."

Same in Colorado which made it a lot easier for my fiancee (now wife) in 1997 when she came here. She used her Thai license for the first two months before we got married. She was technically a "non-immigrant" at that time. Once we got married and did the Adjustment of Status, she was no longer a "non-immigrant" and therefore was required to get a Colorado license which she did after taking the written permit test 3 times and the driving test 5 times.

She couldn't get an IDL in LOS because she didn't have her Thai license for one year which is required to qualify for an IDL. Jay

Archived