Lost / Stolen Mobile Phones - What happens

ultras67

I unfortunately managed to get my phone stolen at the weekend. I was with AIS on the 12Call scheme and went to their customer service centre in World Trade Center.

I explained what happened and asked could they stop the phone and give me a new SIM card with the same number. As I had only bought the phone 6 weeks earlier :onfire: I still had the box with all the IMEI codes and other identifying numbers.

What they said was, we can give you the same number but we need your passport ( not sure why, other ID wasnt acceptable, even my UK photo driving licence ) and a copy of the police report. Without these two they wont give a new SIm. And it would cost 400B.

As for the phone, they said they couldnt stop it at all and anyone is free in Thailand to steal your phone and put their SIM card in and use it straight away. The IMEI means nothing here!

In MBK last night I asked about 4 shops if their 2nd hand phones had manuals and chargers etc, only 2 said yes. Suggests there are a few stolen ones on sale there so be warned.

You are surprised LOL? Stolen mechandise for sale at a "flea market type place in Asia?" Perish the thought ;)

Uh, ya, that's the way it is. Especially with the pre-paid numbers. I did not think that one could get the same number back in that case. Less hassle to just get a new number IMHO.

FYI, Thai coppers busted a gang stealing mobiles down south and then using them to populate their mo-by fone rental shop. Not too bright.

My monthly billing AIS phone was nicked (or maybe I drunkenly left it at the noodle stall at Asoke & Cowboy :o) a few months ago. A call as soon as I figured it out (maybe an hour later) to AIS stopped any calls, but no hope to ever get the phone back. AIS reissued the SIM the next day with the same number, no charge. No special ID or police report needed.

Cheers,

SD

Both cases of theft reported is normal practice all over the world & nothing specific for LOS or other 'flea market' countries :rolleyes:

Difference only being prepaid or postpaid account, which is the reason for the slightly diferent requirements to keep the number on a new SIM.

Now as to IMEI blocking (reporting the mobile stolen by serial number to police & operator e.g. AIS).

All reported stolen GSM phones are regisstered in Ireland & it's then up to the operators if they want to block access for such phones to work in their networks. Very few networks have an interest in doing so & none of the thai do it as far as I know

The procedures for Orange and DTAC are the same as described here (no passport or police report required, though; Orange will ask you for those 5 special numbers, DTAC might ask you the last numbers called from your mobile, thats good enough as identification), fees a bit lower (it's 300 for a new SIMcard from Orange). You can call them immediately to block the SIMcard so you save at least the credit on your SIMcard. You cannot recover your phone.

I had a phone snatched in Jakarta, and yes there is little you can do to recover the phone. The phone and the SIM will probably be sold apart. My wife called the number someone answered and when my wife explained that the number was stolen he said, well I paid good money for it at xxxx shop. Sorry.

I waited two months, and the number was still being used so I put in ad in the paper:

"Phone for sale, cut throat price, call ######### 24hrs a day"

The irony is that it got nicked at my wifes graduation, and I had bought her a new handy to give to her at lunch. So I got the old phone which I, of course, had bought originally.

Archived