connecting laptop to a TV

BelgianBoy

Guys,

I have a laptop and a TV, sofar no problem.

Laptop is running on XP, cable to TV is ok, TV is working fine.

I can also perfectly duplicate or clone my laptop screen to the TV, all works fine, pics, files, etc.... all ok on TV.

BUT I CANNOT SEE DVDs ON TV !!!!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

And that is pissing me off........ DVDs are copies bought in BKK, work perfectly OK on the laptop, sound not image on the TV.

Is that blocked ? How ???

I also tried the DVDs on a regular DVD player to the TV at a friend, that works fine.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers !

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Belgianboy,

It's because the video card in your laptop uses hardware overlay to display movies. You can change your display settings (advanced tab, assuming you are running some version of windows). Then you will be able to view the movies just fine on your tv. Depending on what brand of laptop you are using there usually is a hotkey to select what video output you want.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Danish30

Hi BB,

I worked out my problem and can watch DVD's on the TV screen now.

Important is to disconnect the AC and power connector of the laptop. Connect all perepherial cables and than connect AC and power and start laptop up.

Than funstion Fn and F7 will give you the options to use laptopscreen and/or TV screen.

Good luck.

throw the computer to the wall? :)

i dunno...but I interpreted danish30 as that he suggested that you should look into the display properties. righ click on the 'desktop area' on your computer>choose properties>choose the tab far right [have no idea what it's called in English]>choose 'advanced' & browse around a bit there to see if you can find anything suitable!? ::

I don't have any experience of DVD and laptops myself so don't rely too much on my advice though...

Hi Belgianboy,

From my first reply I assume your problem is that you get a nice desktop pic on your tv, but when you start playing a movie it will just show a black rectangle where the movie should have been.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Toshiba, but on my Compaq I use Fn+F4 to select between display/ext. monitor/tv out, on my Ibm it's Fn+F7. But I don't think selecting the output is your problem, it is probably the video overlay not being shown on tv out.

I think you need to check the control panel (start menu/settings control panel) to see if there is software/drivers installed allowing you to control the output. If there is, look for some setting saying something about video overlay. If not, check for updated video drivers on the Toshiba web site. It is possible you can change this setting in your dvd player software options.

Best regards,

Danish30

Hi Straycat,

throw the computer to the wall?

That is very effective :) .. but not always producing the results BB wants :)

Besides that, you are right, that was the idea of my first reply. But on second thought it all depends on the display driver installed, if just using the generic nVidia driver then it probably wont work. Needs the video manufactures driver to work in most cases, is my experience.

Best regards,

Danish30

Archived