China

Catalyst

I've read about the Philippines, but there are a couple of problems with it.

1-Manila is a little out of the way; the flight connnections aren't as convenient and are more expensive. I usually go for just a few days as part of a business trip.

2-How do I justify going to Manila, or especially Angeles? Thailand is easy - it's a main hub, so it's convenient, and there is lots to do there, so a detour is justified. I've never been, but I hear Manlia's kind of a dump that few people would go out of their way to see. I don't know what I would say when people ask me why I'm going.

3-I don't WANT to go to a dump. I want there to be something to see (although I've had a few trips to Thailand where I found that by the time I had a couple of meals and f---ed everyone who I really needed to f--- there just wasn't any more time left in the day).

Other possibilities:

Indonesia - The cost and availablility of flights are a problem, but there are lots of things to see when I'm there.

Singapore - Great for flights. I've seen some interesting sanuk reports, though it's a little expensive. I can take a boat to Bintan and there is supposed to be a good scene there.

Hong Kong - Also great for flights. It sounds less good and more expensive than Thailand for sanuk.

Malaysia - There are some flights. How is the sanuk?

Korea - Lots of flights. Sounds like it isn't great for either tourism or sanuk.

Japan - Would I care what airfares cost if I could afford this place?

Issues:

Cost - I'm not a cheapskate, but I care. Thailand is cheap for me, but 4-5 days of sanuk in Thailand will probably cost more than $1K. In Germany I can spend $500/day. I'm not interested in going into the jungle to find $3 all nighters. $100 a pop is pretty much the top end of what I pay and at that price it shouldn't be an Amsterdam RLD quickie experience. $150-200 would be the top end for all-night (that should include bribes to security at hotels, etc...)

Hotels and legal issues - Russia is great, but it can be a pain because of the girl-unfriendly hotels and cheezy security goons you have to bribe, as well as having to pay off the police once in a while. Hotels sound like a big problem in China.

Attitude - Amsterdam has great looking girls, few legal or hotel problems, and at least used to have great prices, but the assembly-line sex can be a real turn off. In Brazil most girls act like they are going to go crazy if you don't f--- their brains out.

Convenience - Better not to spend a lot of time going outside the city center, worrying about the cost and availability of transportation, and missing out on sightseeing.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what I would say when people ask me why I'm going.

Catalyst, we've covered this particular issue in great detail on the board, and I believe that it comes down to this : are you taking a holiday for yourself or for the benefit of others ?. People will make their own assumptions, regardless of your stated destination. Every Asian country I've visited has elicited knowing winks from males and sheer horror from (some) women I know, but fuck them - its my life, and I'll go where I want. If you are seriously concerned re work colleagues, just tell them that its a secret - it annoys the shit out of them.

To illustrate how little some of my colleagues know of Asia, I was accused of going to Singapore to 'find a wife' a couple of years ago. If all I wanted was a material girl with an obsession for the 5C's, I wouldnt have to buy an air ticket.

My experience in China is limited to SW China where I have had very good luck at high end hotels. In that part of China "high end" means $30-$55 per night. Many of them have massage services and I've never had problems with the girls coming to my room. Ruili, Dali, Kunming and Kaili all have hotels with these services. I am going to Shanghai in a few weeks and am interested to know if anyone has recommendations for hotels there that might offer massage services.

Cmon, Sukhumvit, just tell us how you really feel ::

I agree with you that members who dont have something additional to contribute to a thread should keep their thoughts to themselves. June11, we need info on China, not a critique of our posts.

I'd just like to add this my initial post :

Personal Safety : I'd been warned by several Chinese friends here in Oz (admittedly, they were from HK and Vietnam, not China) to avoid situations where I could be bundled into an alley and robbed. Not always easy in such crowded cities, but I'm happy to report that I never felt that I was in any danger, despite getting lost on a couple of occasions and wandering through some dodgy areas en route to my hotel. My wallet *was* stolen, but that was due purely to my own (alcohol-fuelled) stupidity, and no force was involved.

Happy trails, Catalyst.

I have been living in Beijing for nearly 2 years, and in that time have been a frequent visitor to LOS (TGF). The scene is different in China, but just as prolific. I think the main problem in China is that you will struggle if it is known you are just a short term visitor, whereas Thailand caters for that market. As a single guy, I could go out to bars every night (in Beijing) and come home with someone different - some free (although a lot will look for "shopping money"), some cheap (Rmb100), some expensive (US$100 +). It is different in Shanghai and Shenzhen, where it focusses around the barbershops - known as BBS.

Suggest you look at the WSG forum quoted earlier - it is a goldmine for information on the China scene.

Archived