China

Catalyst

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I wasting a trip to Asia if I go there instead of Thailand?

Definitely not *IF* the main focus of your trip isnt sex ....

You can find a mountain of info on China - just use the search function for the cities you have mentioned. My advice is:

1. Be prepared to pay handsomely if you do go chasing P4P

2. Knowing Mandarin is a *huge* asset, even in HK.

Culturally, China is a fantastic experience, but you need to examine your motives. Thailand also has a lot to offer culturally; the cost of living in BKK remains cheaper than Shanghai, Beijing or HK, and most Westerners find the Thais to be friendlier than the average (Han) Chinese. These are generalisations, to be sure, but I'm sure you'll find more specific info in the archived posts.

Personally, I consider China to be a great destination, and I'd go back tomorrow if my Mandarin magically improved beyond Kindergarten standard ::

I've got many sources of information about areas of cultural interest, and I agree that there seems to be a lot to explore. It's a little harder to find into on p4p. I've already seen Beijing and Hong Kong, so I'm most interested in Shanghai, but I also want to have fun at night, and Shanghai sounds a little problematic in that department. But maybe I'm looking for info in the wrong places.

I get to Shanghai on a regular basis. It is fun, but pricey. US$8 a beer average in the expat/farang style bars. P4P is tough to find. I casually looked but dropped it. I did have fun chatting up "normal" ladies in the bars. Local chix go to farang bars to meet farangs (duh!). My Mandarin is dodgey and my Shanghainese is even worse, so not too much luck. I was with some locals, so that did help. I have had nice nights that would have ended up in bed had I: a) spoke better local lingo, B) been an expat and not in a hotel (guests are problematic I understand) and c) my local friends had left earlier so the girl wasn't too shy.

Sorry, not too much help :(.

Cheers,

SD

Mate, if it's your first time to Asia then try Thailand. Lots more westerners around.

If it ain't and you're looking for a Thai alternative then try the Philippine Islands if you're looking for value for money and girls that can speak a little English. Angeles is a couple of hours from Manila. Cheap beer. Cheap girls. Even the hotels are relatively cheap compared to the West, although not compared to Thailand.

If you want cheap shags then China ain't it, unless you speak some Mandarin as has been pointed out. And you go off the beaten track. Was there nearly 2 years ago and cheapest it got was 150 renminbi down on Hainan Island. In Beijing the chicks want more. Especially in the tourist areas. A lot more. Do no be surprised if their opening gambit is $100.00 US.

Don't know current exchange rates re renminbi.

On my trip to Shanghai, I found the biggest problem for me was that I did not speak the language. I also found it very expensive and more work than it was worth concerning the nightlife, really I mean a "pain in the ass" :cussing:

My advice, is to avoid China if your first time to Asia. Go to Thailand first and the Philippines second.

Look at the Manila/Angeles thread in Nightlife section page 2 regarding this info.

Heres is what you should do IMO, if first time to Asia and you are a nightlife person. This cuts through all the guessing, and you will not waste any time.

1. Book a room at Nana Hotel.

2. Go to Nanaplaza,Soi Cowboy, and Patpong starting about

7pm.

3. After staying in Bangkok for 4 or 5 days, go to Pattaya.

4. Stay in Pattaya for about a week, up to you.

5. Go to Angeles Philippines, if you have time and money.

6. Doing this will pretty much minimize you wasting time and money if doing a first trip to Asia for nightlife.

Use the search engine also concerning guest friendly hotels,transportation,prices etc...

You might want to consider Taiwan as a warm up to the mainland. A lot of the younger girls are very friendly indeed and there are bars where you can meet them. A good looking young teacher friend of mine seems to have more than he can handle. I understand the massage & P4P scene there isn't what it used to be. :)

been to beijing & shanghai recently & even it's definitely not a patch on BKK as no gogo's, bar beers etc. exist, but by playing your cards well the 'ametours' are out to play in larger numbers & there's some dedicated p4p areas as well...

regarding hotels I did not experience any problems these days, but then again I might just have been lucky at my hotels(5* biz)?

some basic pointers here: http://chilli.iwebland.com/china.html

Archived