Do Thais Get Embarrassed about their names?

Torneyboy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artiew said:

Hi TB,

no 'last name'. Finally, exasperated, I said 'Just like Suharto !' to blank looks.

maybe you should have used Madonna, Liberace or Kamahl as an example. :D

maybe you should have used Madonna, Liberace or Kamahl as an example

LOL ! I doubt that the last two would have drawn anything more than furrowed brows, NorFly, but Madonna does have a last name - Ciccone - and I'd be surprised if it doesnt appear on her passport. One can only imagine what Liberace's passport must have looked like ........

Apparently, we've dropped history from the school curriculum, along with other useless items such as geography, pure mathematics and common sense. Its a brave new world.

spirit_of_town_hall said:

I agree some Thai names are stupid, like Poo and Tik. It leaves them open to ridicule from people in the west.

STH

Well STH,

Why are their names stupid? Poo means crab. They're very common names in Thai. There's nothing stupid about those names, it's the perception or meaning westerners give to it.

Although it may sound funny, it is their nickname, no reason to call it stupid.

Westerners ridiculing Thais because of their names tells me

more about the Westerners that do so than anything else.

I don;t get your reasoning?

:dunno:

I remember this Brit named Will on Phi Phi. The Thais couldn't pronounce Will (came out like win) so they called him Willie. Well we all know what a willy is. Drove the guy absolutely nuts as he was a bit of an imperious prick.

Actually the name was quite fitting in retrospect.

Bottom line - why should a Thai give a rat?s ass what a foreigner thinks of their name? What they should think is there goes another jackass with a superiority complex. :banghead:

Why are their names stupid? Poo means crab.

Hi Limbo,

Of course, their names aren't stupid. It's probably the English definition which might be stupid or be the cause of embarrassing situations. - 'Poo' as in 'shit'. :)

But I agree that nobody should have any problem with that.

Archived