Do Thais Get Embarrassed about their names?

Torneyboy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"does that mean our beloved canadian gift to england the pooh bear is a SHIT BEAR "

I remember riding the train to Kanchanaburi with some newbie friends in 2000 or so. A little girl and her mother sat in our car. We pissed ourselves laughing for the entire trip (even my GTG Thai wife) because a) they sold beer at every stop and B) the little girl was wearing t shirt inscribed with the famous face of our boy Winnie, but with the title "Winny the Poop".

We had a great time with them and bought food for all in the carriage. The Thais thought we were great fun! One of the few times I wished the train ride was longer.

Cheers,

SD

There must be many cases of Farang names that are funny to Thai people. Can anyone verify if in fact the Farang name "Dean" means " the sole of the foot" in Thai language???

I worked in Villawood detention centre when I was a lad and we often had a van load of Thai working girls brought in during night shift. Once these two girls of the night were turned in whose names happened to be transliterated?? as Suktapol and Phukdaloet. It was quite good fun to call them over the P.A. for immigration interviews etc. In hindsight however I guess they should have been pronounced SUK-TA-PON and POOK-DA-LERT.

Thais who interact or live in the west should and often do alter their names just as I would if my name meant tampon in Thai... I know a girl called Poo who calls herself Pooki for this very reason..

To have a name like Poo or Tik in England would be stupid and counnter productive. Doesnt mean Thailand or they are stupid, just that their nickname in that particular context isnt doing them any favours. I would advise a Thai person with a name like Poo to consider changing it for western ears, as we all know how sensitive Thais are,its just being practicle Limbo.

STH

Archived