Departure Tax to be halved

phiketpete

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

250, 500, maybe not much, but it always feels like a final racket before one goes home. I wish they would put it on the ticket fare, and stop that last "give me money" stunt.

I always thought there was a mercantile reason behind it. Most of you have certainly experienced that many times, you need to change money again for that, and i think that many tourists have to be reminded of it in the airport. Nobody really has 12$ to change, so it just seems it entices you to spend the rest of your change in the duty-free shops or the restaurants. Most of us, LOSlovers can keep it for next time, but a good percent of tourists will not come back, so end up spending it inside the airport. Does it sound far-fetched?

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

I wish they would put it on the ticket fare, and stop that last "give me money" stunt.

How many people would be unemployed if they put on the ticket? Atleast 6 or 7 in ticket both, 2 people at each entrance to Immg., (all this 3 shifts), guys that maintain the machines. Not counting supervison, mangement and backroom accountants. All together you could be talking about 100 people involved in collection.

Wouldn't want all those people out of job would we?

This is a hoot! The airport cuts the depature tax because of declining patronage at the same time the flag carrier raises fares for the same reason. Screw it, THB250 is two extra beers.

Now, let's see. The tickets are given in exchange for money. Then the tickets are punched and collected. Then the cancelled tickets and the money all go to the counting room. I wonder if the number of tickets collected equals the number of tickets reported?

Hmmm. An enterprising person could skim quite a lot this way. And if the number of departures does not equal the number of arrivals, you can always blame some falang or kheck or Burmese for overstaying their visa.

"Disappear" 28 departure tickets a day * THB500 * 365 and that's a cool 5 million baht per year. I think we've answered the question as to why the dpearture tax isn't just tacked on to the ticket price; that would cut down on the opportunities for graft...

Posted by Pattaya 127

quote:

250, 500, maybe not much, but it always feels like a final racket before one goes home. I wish they would put it on the ticket fare, and stop that last "give me money" stunt.

Couldn't agree more sir. I think it's a total scam!

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Posted by Pattaya 127

Couldn't agree more sir. I think it's a total scam!

The airport tax in Thailand is actually a hell of a lot cheaper than in most countries around the world. The only difference being in the way it is paid, it is included in the ticket price in most countries, but here it isn't.

In the UK the departure tax is equivalent to 1260 baht plus another 520 baht passenger service charge.

The Australian Tax is roughly 630 baht.

Even the Philipenes is 645 baht!!

The Bangkok Post reports today that the airport departure tax is to be halved to Bt 250.

Details to be finalised and will be in effect for 1 year.

Reason given passenger numbers down 8% in October year on year.

Now for all of you spending 20-30000bt to visit LOS i am sure that the extra 250Bt you will now have in your pocket will be the decidinfg factor as to visit or not

Roger--

Yeah you're right, but all accounts the Thai departure tax is downright cheap.. Have you ever looked at the total taxes applied to an International ticket issued in the US (for US return travel)??? Customs/Imigration fees, maybe a $3 PFC charge.. I mean it really adds up.. However, since it's added into the ticket price (much like VAT) you don't FEEL like you just got the last "gimme some money" trip before you leave!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

PS: The part I hate is that they make US (cargo guys) pay it too.. My gripe (a small one at best) is that the fee is often for "aiport passenger facilities usage" and since we usually don't use the general passenger facilities, we're getting taxed for nothing... oh well.. can't beat 'em so pay-up!

I keep myself to a budget and always keep a 500 or 1000 baht note folded in my passport just in case something happens and I need the departure tax.

On a slightly different topic, last time I was in LOS, at the entry point, the lady who stamps the passport smiles and says 'you have something for me?', looks around and I slip a 100 baht note between the entry forms. She nods a thank you wai.

Its not just Thailand but a lot of 3rd world countries do similar things.

Archived