Departure Tax to be halved

phiketpete

quote:

Originally posted by chocolat steve:

On a slightly different topic, last time I was in LOS, at the entry point, the lady who stamps the passport smiles and says 'you have something for me?', looks around and I slip a 100 baht note between the entry forms. She nods a thank you wai.

Its not just Thailand but a lot of 3rd world countries do similar things.

WoW! she knows a sucker when she sees one. I bet she has 2 sisters working at NEP. When we meet for a night in townm i will make sure "I forgot to take my wallet", Sateeb laugh.gif" border="0

Really, news to me from behind an officialdom employee counter, given you don't ask for any favor. 3rd world maybe, but it's not like they have to beg for anything like in Burma or Cambodia, poor as dirt.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an American and Jamaican passport (dual citizenship) and used the Jamaican one last time while the American passport was not available (long story).

Jamaica is one of the numerous countries that they require a temporary visa on entry that has to be applied for.

I didn't want any 'problems'. She was having a hard time finding Jamaica on her list of countries and I suspected she could have held up my entry for any number of reasons. So I just paid. After traveling for 18 hours all I wanted to do was just get in the taxi to go to Pattaya.

In my trip report I noted how I argued against over charging baht bus operators, etc. so I usually fight corruption when I see it but choose my battles wisely.

It happens in the states too. Try getting a city permit for certain things in NYC or Philly without a little extra $ to the inspection guy to overlook some things.

In general I agree with all of you regarding not to give in to corruption/bribes, etc. but in this particular case I chose to for the sake of ease.

quote:

Originally posted by chocolat steve:

I didn't want any 'problems'. She was having a hard time finding Jamaica on her list of countries and I suspected she could have held up my entry for any number of reasons. So I just paid. .

See, Sateeb, if you withold information, how can we make sense of thai ways? Hard enough with all the facts in hand...

All-

I've posted this before, but one thing that I do to make sure that I am not fuimbled up at departure is that I buy my departure tax card upon ARRIVAL. that is I go upstairts to departures level and buy one and sitck it to my departure immigration card.

Also, FYI, the card is valid for one year (365) days from date of purchase/printing.. The cards issued from booths/machines in T1 and T2 have different markings, but they are totally interchangeable between the terminals.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

All-

I've posted this before, but one thing that I do to make sure that I am not fuimbled up at departure is that I buy my departure tax card upon ARRIVAL. that is I go upstairts to departures level and buy one and sitck it to my departure immigration card.

Also, FYI, the card is valid for one year (365) days from date of purchase/printing.. The cards issued from booths/machines in T1 and T2 have different markings, but they are totally interchangeable between the terminals.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

You are correct in saying that the tickets are marked diferently. Not between Terminal one and two, but between each individual machine and ticket. The problem being that if you buy your ticket before the date of departure is that you will not be able to refund it in the event of a cancellation. Also, tickets purchased in Phuket, Had Yai or Chiang Mai are not valid in Bangkok and visa versa.

Cheers

Roger

quote:

Originally posted by phiketpete:

The Bangkok Post reports today that the airport departure tax is to be halved to Bt 250.

Details to be finalised and will be in effect for 1 year.

Reason given passenger numbers down 8% in October year on year.

Now for all of you spending 20-30000bt to visit LOS i am sure that the extra 250Bt you will now have in your pocket will be the decidinfg factor as to visit or not

Any chance of expediting the reduction? I leave tonight, and I'm really short on Baht!

Archived