New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoke with a very high government official yesterday. He stated that it?s all in Thaksin?s hands now. Some shocking comments such as paragraph 3 or 4 that I was not aware of. Only because who this person is, is why I?m repeating it because otherwise I look rather foolish, if something else happens:-) Please remember I?m just repeating what I heard, these are not my opinions or do I necessary agree with every word of the reasoning. Here is his take?

On March 1st..

1. Khun Thaksin could declare that its 2. a.m or even 1 a.m. for everyone. In his opinion 70% chance of that happening. If he does this, expect also the statement that? no NEW entertainment licenses can or will be issued outside the zones.? Thaksin definitely does not want any new places springing up outside the zones.

2. Thaksin could declare midnight for businesses outside the zone and 1. a.m and 2 a.m in the zones as is proposed now. 30% chance for this.

3. Thaksin however can NOT change the zones or add zones. This has already been proclaimed by the King a long time ago and would take six months minimum to add more.

4. The zones themselves can be changed to 3 a.m or even 6 a.m. if the local government such as Pattaya wants longer hours for their zones.

5. The new entertainment law is modern. The previous was written 50 years ago and had many gray areas. This is black and white and should have no police corruption. It?s positive for the businessman as he knows the laws and can follow them.

6. The reason for the zones is so they can control everything. It may look having RCA in the zone is not proper if they are concerned about teenagers welfare but they can keep a eye on them at least here rather than having them spread out through the city. They expect older Thai people will start going to RCA as well and this will help change the atmosphere.

7. If the zoning goes through, expect the properties to skyrocket upwards around the zone. They expect the outer areas of Bangkok to die off in the next three years. More and more people will be attracted to living in areas around the zones.

8. If the zoning goes thru, they expect a minimum of two million people to be effected in the pocketbook and large protests as a result. ?It will be a zoo? No matter how large the protest, don?t expect Thaksin to back down like other PM?s in the past. However keep in mind that the government term is ending and their will soon be a new election. On a sidenote heard of a large protest on Friday the 27th being planned.

9. A pub can be open at 6 p.m in the zone and close at 1 a.m. A disco in the zone can open at 9 p.m in the zone and close at 2 a.m.

10. Outside the zone, a disco can be open from 9 p.m to midnight and a pub from 6 p.m. to midnight.

Thank you for publishing this and for your efforts to keep all of us apprised of the latest thoughts by those close to the power. :bow:

I was aware of the #3 the only proviso I would add is there are provinces where no 'Enertainment Zone' has been either declared or not declared.

"The zoning of entertainment areas around the country will be completed by June 2002, Interior Minister Purachai Piumsombun said in January 2002 since 74 of the 76 provinces had already submitted letters declaring their intention to allow entertainment areas.

Cabinet issued a royal decree to zone entertainment areas in 14 provinces.

Only three areas in Bangkok - Patpong, New Phetchaburi and Ratchadapisek roads - were allowed to operate night venues covering an area of 6sq km.

A royal decree on zoning of nightspots is likely to be ready soon, covering eight provinces without Bangkok.

The eight provinces under the pioneer scheme are Chiang Rai, Tak, Lampang, Surin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Samut Songkhram, Chon Buri (Pattaya) and Phuket.

Provinces which do not have entertainment venues are Sukhothai, Pichit, Nakhon Nayok, Ang Thong, Satun, Yala and Pattani and as the latest news so far

So Nana and SC appear to be headed for the shitter.

Of course Khun T may well choose option #1 on March 1st ...

I'm sure EVERYONE will be awaiting that date ..... including the enforcement units that are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

as to #4 ............ I presume that was part of what the Mayor of Pattaya was referring to.

i remember a nice story from the 80s.

There was also district law that every bar and club in Phuket has to close at midnight... unless a special bar (special, because the owner was the police chief from Phuket town :banghead:! No joke!

With this fact, some policemen had to come from BKK down to Phuket to close these big bar...for ever and the police chief was not more in his job.

When i remember this story, i'am quite shure that there will be some clubs in BKK and outside the entertainment zones, who can open theirs door longer as till midnight... :shhh:

Assuming your mate is on the right track this is one of the clearest comments or posts on the subject that I have come across.

One para I dont understand is #5. Sure the old rules were complicated but the confusion that has come about over this one (opening times, different businesses in zones, licences etc) show this isn't exactly black and white. I expect there will be fine tuning if not wholesale changes before there is a coherent law. I also expect very strongly it will not be the end of police corruption in this area.

I don't know your source, but I like the way you numbered your comments. It makes it easier for me to add my comments, which, unless otherwise, indicated are opinion. Draw your own conclusions about the cogency of my opinions.

1. This makes sense. It is grossly unfair to impose new regulations on an existing business that will drive it out of business, but it is a generally accepted practice to prohibit new businesses from starting in an area where such business is not permitted to operate under zoning regulations. This is how I understand zoning generally operates in the U.S. It was not, however, the way the press here described the regulations. But confusion reigns, and it would not be the first time a newspaper got something wrong.

2. The newspaper reports made it sound like it would happen this way. And this seems to be what half of NEP thinks (well the half I spoke to, at least).

3. There must be some legal beagles out there who can address this. I thought a law had been passed allowing zoning, and that the government was implimenting regulations pursuant to that law. Once a law is passed providing for the promulgation of regulations, I thought regulations were simply issued by Ministers and do not require further approval of the King or the Parliment. Is there anyone out there who really knows?

4. The mayor of Pattaya seems to understand what drives his local economy.

5. A law that is clear is good. I am still not clear on what this law says, and I cannot find anyone who is.

6. Good luck.

7. I agree about property prices, but I don't think I would want to live too close to a zone, particularly if entertainment venues could stay open until 6 am. I might, however, want to own a restaurant near one.

8. Probably right, but there may be some sort of ambiguous Thai solution. I know plenty of people in NEP that are scared to death about losing their jobs. This must be true everywhere else there is a pub, bar or club outside a zone. We are talking about alot of voters.

9. Noted, but I still thing these times make no sense.

10. No discos outside the zones will survive.

Archived