With the End in Sight, NEP turns Nasty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In two of five bars (in keeping with KS's policy I won't name the bars), there was flagrant bar padding."

No problem naming bars that pad the bill

OK. I can name one and describe the other. 1. G-Spot. 2. Don't know the name, but it is the open air beer bar between Vodoo and Hollywood/Playschool - it is not one of the bars immediately in front of any of these places, but the bar more or less in the center, if this description makes sense.

On my next trip to Thailand, I will probably skip Nana and possibly Bangkok altogether. Many of us here in Hong Kong are just getting less interested in Thailand. And it is not just the closing times, but everything else, such as the way the government handled the bird flu problem with lies, the unexplained killings of drug suspects, etc. No desire to debate these issues, just reporting the developing attitude among my friends here in Hong Kong about Thailand generally. And it is not just guys - this is sort of a general attitude, at least among the people I know.

This time things are a little different. Thee seems to be less sex tourist. Less sex tourist, less money for the bars and the girls. Also, Thailand is trying its hardest to look more like a developing country then a 3rd world country. This image change has to step on some toes.
This is what does not make sense to us over here. It seems as though Thailand is catering to sex tourists at the expense of regular tourists.

Think about it for a moment. Only the bars in the desiginated entertainment venues will have long enough opening time to survive. In other words, only bars in Patpong, Ratchadipisek and RCA will benefit from zoning - bars that cater to sex tourists and teenagers.

Bars outside these areas will be subject to restrictions that will basically make it impossible for them to survive. While it is true that you do see go go bars outside the official entertainment districts, it also true that all of the new, cool trendy bars that I would feel comfortable taking my girlfiend to are also outside the entertainment zones. I am talking about places like Q Bar, Bed, etc.

Is Thailand trying to protect sex tourism venues by making it impossible for regular bars to operate?

If I bring my girlfriend to Bangkok (and I do this occassionally) and we want to go out, we can go to Patpong and see go go bars (NOT), but the other places where I would actually feel comfortable taking my girlfriend will be subject to restricted operating hours and probably will not survive. :dunno:

Can you someone explain this to me. I am serious - I really don't understand what is going over there. Most of my friends in Hong Kong are totally baffled by Thailand.

And it is not just the bars...Everytime I pick up a paper and read about Thailand, the news is not good. "Thailand is trying its hardest to look more like a developing country then a 3rd world country." When we read about how bird flu was handled, the unexplained killings during the drug wars, what is going on in the South of Thailand, it looks more and more like a country that is clearly stepping back into the the third world.

I got the impression that the regulations only affect places that serve alcohol. But that seems too good to be true. Could venues that offer girls and serve only non-alcoholic drinks stay open after the new closing time? That would certainly be fine with me.

I was going to start a new thread on this, but I'm not sure it isn't a stupid question.

William Ginzer said:

Can you someone explain this to me. I am serious - I really don't understand what is going over there. Most of my friends in Hong Kong are totally baffled by Thailand.

Hi will,

You make a very good point, but I, for one, can't offer an explanation.

The truth is, I think most people who develop a knowledge of Thailand - including yourself - find themselves baffled by what goes on. It is impossible to understand and I stopped trying some time ago.

Khwai

samak said:
MightyMouse said:A few years ago when they closed the bars at 2:00 instead of staying open all night, people said about the same thing.

on which timeframe are you referring? majority of bars in NEP and SC close at 200am for many, many years. ok some beer bars stayed open a bit longer and there were also exceptions among gogo's where you could have some more drinks, but in general closing at 0200 was not something that has been introduced under the current government! that was already the case under chuan, chavalit, banharn, chatchai...

and i still remember the days when i when i nodded off in some gogo bar at 3am or so and woke up around 5am or so when they started packing in. :drunk:

obviously that was pre-relationship days, before the administration of the missus. after that government took over me life i have to admit that i don't really know much about closing times. ::

obviously that was pre-relationship days, before the administration of the missus. after that government took over me life i have to admit that i don't really know much about closing times.

sure you do FlyW ............... that's why you read the board ::

Archived