Western UNION in BKK + getting US$

OCgringo

Well if you remember a few weeks ago I asked about getting some US$ that was sent to me by Western Union.

Well I thought I had it figured out,

went to the Western Union office on Suk next to Landmark .

Quess what ?

they could not give me the money !

they said yes it is in Western Union , but in USA Western Union , and since it was sent to USA I have to pick it up there !

Damn !

So just a warning , check it out first , I have enough $$$$ , so thats not really going to be a big problem ,

but if you were down and out and a friend used your USA address / location to send you money you will probably not get the $$$$ TRANSFER here in BKK

PS....the girl at the bank was sure cute !

Well that makes sense....... :doah: you friend is supposed to know where you are, at least which country. :banghead:

Get him to call WU and take to an International Supervisor, she can fix it in minutes...... dealt with them a lot. A bit pricey, a bit picky, but there are advantages .......... like the number of locations you can pick it up at.

Hi LHL,

This is a timely post - I am about to use Western Union to send my IG a few hundred towards her plane fare to Oz. Any other pitfalls that I need to watch out for ?

I would be happier if I could just deposit the money straight into a bank account, but life is rarely that simple. The paranoid in me wonders how many lowlifes target people coming out of Western Union offices, but I guess that could apply to any financial institution that hands its customers cash. How long have we been hearing about the 'cashless' society - its right up there with the 'paperless' office.

If you are doing it by phone, which i did many times, with great frustation btw, here are the pitfalls IME

First make SURE you ask for an International supervisor ... because..

a) you have the know what country it is going to be picked up in.... that's the easy one

B) she has to answer a question that you supply that only she should have the answerto... ook, not so bad, you can phone her or email her......

c) she has to show id........... that matches the name you give :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

now how many of you know your girls real name .... as it is exactly on her Thai Identity card ??

And even if you know it, can you transleterate it well enough that the Thai clerk will understand when she looks at the ID.

My CM gf and I did this for months.... and it was an effort in frustration, eventually she picked up her monthly stipend at the same place each time so the girl knew who she was, but if the regular girl was off ...........

I have a Gold Western Union Card and a very close relationship developing with an International supervisor.

The transliteration is the big problem, and getting her ID name, which may not be the same as her other leagal names, can be tricky as well. An seupervisor can smooth these things out well enough, but my experiences were anything but smooth in the beginning. Best of luck.

eg. your girls first name sounds like Ureon in English, now the clerk in Thailand will look at it and translate it slighly different and it won't match her ID....

do it to her bank account, probably cheaper as well. If she doesn't have a bank account tell her to get one, if she can't get one because she has no ID, she won't be able to get it from WU either.

Hopefully they have improved since I last used them 5 years ago, but i wouldn't count on it.

Thanks, LHL - she does have a bank account - I just wasnt sure how the whole foreign exchange thing would work when trying to transfer funds between my bank (Hicksville Funds Management....) and hers. The locals dont fill me with confidence whenever they have to do something beyond the usual mundane transactions involving tractors and combine harvesters ::

Artefskij,

I have no idea what went wrong with esteemed boardmember OCgringo and his transfer but nothing on earth is less troublesome than Amex Moneygram or Western Union. I would say I hold the Western Union Thailand Gold Trophy for high frenquency usage. Sure. This what makes the deal a straight one : Name of beneficiary ( Miss Nok ); for identification you use the number of her ID card. In case madame is an illegal entry from Lao or The Union of Myanmar , you use whatever she can offer. And then after your WU office has done the transfer on their system you get a transfer number which is most important. madame needs to have this one , ID-card and then can withdraw the cash from ANY Thai partner outlet which there are thousands because they use Bangkok Bank, almost all Robinson Stores and so forth. I EXPECT ALL NANAPLAZA BOARDMEMBERS TO BE ABLE TO SETTLE A CASH TRANSFER INTO THE ISAAN AT ANY GIVEN TIME !!!!!!! No silly excuses here.

BuBi

artiew said:

Thanks, LHL - she does have a bank account - I just wasnt sure how the whole foreign exchange thing would work when trying to transfer funds between my bank (Hicksville Funds Management....) and hers. The locals dont fill me with confidence whenever they have to do something beyond the usual mundane transactions involving tractors and combine harvesters ::

Intern'l transfers are easy, even for the slowest turnips off the truck. It's a SWIFT network transaction, even little banks have this ability, (although perhaps not Credit Unions and Trust companies) just walk in give them your tilaks bank info and she'll be spending it before you get back to the pub. (well within a day anyway) Any problems you will be dealing with a local, not an agent in the Bombay Call Center.

Archived