BORED outside of Thailand.....

buddha

Hi Buddha,

I am making lists of things I need to do to be happy. I am quiting smoking, I excercise daily,

Making you happy or healthy?

You must entertain yourself. I don't see quitting smoking as entertaining. And to start exercising also doesn't show you have or had a liking for it, more as a way to keep yourself busy.

Find something you actually like to do. Old Hippie asked for your location. If it's nearby perhaps you guys could meet, talk, laugh about the good old times, and of course feel miserable together afterwards.

You could also find yourself a woman. Farang woman Asian woman whatever, as long as you keep yourself busy with stuff you enjoy doing!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your post reminds me of the comment made on many guys "MIA" in Pattaya (though it's more MI inaction, IMO): "they seem to have lost how to find their way home".

Though quoted in derision obviously, i found it was quite true, even as the chap is back home.

My question to anyone is this : would you consider that your life is quite empty outside of the bars, outside of being a tourist in thailand?

My answer to your question: the first 5 years i went to Thailand, I was definitely crazy about annything thai, S-E-Asian, and I met a lot of thais that way, while at the same time taking courses in gemology, thinking it was a good way to travel there often and stay for work. I dabbled in import/export like a few of us, until it dawned to me that i had a pretty good situation, working, social life in SF, family in France, that it was a privilege to have been raised in an affluent lawful country, and that I was STILL travelling to Thailand.

I also heard more, understood more of the pitfalls of real life in LOS, and last, by that time, over 5 years, thru traveling, reading, thinking, Thailand had become a part of me, so what does it matter where I am. As for sex, sure i love thai women, but that does not make me indifferent to the others or their US "sisters".

Sucks to be stuck in America, but there are different levels, depending on where you are. Bumfuck, Oklahoma, would be MUCH worse than, say, Hawaii. I always liked San Francisco, never lived there, though, but if where you're at is not to your liking, try a different locale. easier said than done, though, I know.

I'm in NYC. Not really a place that you would assume to be boring.

Quitting smoking is a great source of happiness to me. I'm a hard core smoker who runs almost everyday. Quitting smoking and working out are two items in a long checklist I made to right myself.

I'm glad you know how I feel. Feedback is a nice kick in the ass. One I needed.

Thailand was just such a nice easy place to be.

Hi Buddha,

I'd just like to reassure you that you are the *only* member I know of who has returned from Thailand and found their life back in the 'real world' to be an empty and soulless one. No-one else has sat at Don Muang, red-eyed and teary, dearly wishing that they didnt have to return. No-one else has walked the streets of their hometown, looking in vain for a smiling face.

Although I have enjoyed my trips to other Asian countries immensely, none of them have departure lounges that begin to approach Don Muang's for despair.

That freakin ride on the highway at 4am to catch that Northwest 6am flight is the freakin worst. It is still dark out and you wonder as you drive away when you will be able to return. The departure lounge is not that bad cause I go to KFC and eat about 500 baht worth of food. Takes my mind off of leaving and away from the departure lounge plus I get to flirt with the KFC cuties at the register.

Oneye

Archived