House warmings/Blessing

Torneyboy

My wife and her two sisters have all chiped in to have the family home rebuilt...a complet knockdown and rebuild at the floating market.

Will be finished late March.

The parents have arranged a ""house warming"" have invited nine monks from the big temple at the Floating Markets and about forty other guests as well as myself and the sisters.

Is this a usual event..to bless the home/House warming?

Sounds like a huge production to me

:dunno:

For sure! They may have a reading first to find the lucky date for this. Then expect a monk and guest procession down the street to the new abode. String will be wrapped around the house and property just like you would have on your wrist at the Wat. It will stay there for some time until it is totally weathered away or until they tired of it getting in the way.

Lots of cheesy gift are given. It will be a good time!

Hi.

Wow what a production.

The date will have to be between April 11--22 that is when the sisters and i will be in town.

Whom gets the great gifts...parents or the sisters as well?

Wife told me there will be nine envelopes for donations for the Monks...lots of candels and ........sounds like a lot of fun ::

>The parents have arranged a ""house warming"" have invited nine monks

Been in one 31st of December last year.

Neighbourhood ladies came and cooked all night before the event.

In the morning I went to pick up the monks (who, used to riding in backtrays of pickups were surprised by 3 rows of leather seats in the 4wd).

The day earlier, I went to the temple with a neighbour to bring monks' "tools" - vases, pots, rugs...

The event itself took just over an hour. Neigbours came in their best attire and sat in the house during the procession. I was idling outside with children.

The cost was 2k baht for all food ingredients. About 40 people attended and ate, some food for the monks too.

During the ride back to the temple, one of the monks (he could speak good English) asked about 4wd gear shift stick...then, "Is it The Smashing Pumpkins CD? Give it a blast!".

Other than bad sleep the night before (due to the ladies outside cooking, talking, making general noise) it was an easy day.

Archived