House warmings/Blessing

Torneyboy

whosyourdaddy said:

been to a few of these. Here is the best advice I can give:

BRING A BOOK.

You will understand after the monks are done.

Hi

Went off very well ..the monks were great (no English) am used to that as same in our local Temple in Sydney.

As TTM said all the older ladies came and cooked ...and cooked ...heaps of stuff.

For some reason i thought the string would be around the house...but around the boundary of the property with flag type poles attached.

This was on the 12 April.

Ended up being around 100 guests .

My wife kept introducing all the females as her sister...she meant cousin..this was after sister 33 :doah:

Lots of gifts and ended up a great event.

Finished at 12pm ..and we headed off to the Sofitel at hua Hin for a couple of days R&R.

Hey ...no need for a book ::

hehehe bring a book! Best advice I heard so far!

We had it done at our place up north after we finished building it, was a interesting eremony, but it did go on.

Luckily, as it was crowded with people, I hung out at the back so I didn't have to sit sideways for an hour, that kills ya!

Enjoy it, but get a seat at the back so you can nip outside for a drink and breath of fresh air.

I too amthinkng about a heater for the house, for water I assume you are talking.

JB

You could get up and move around..not like at the temple where you get a dirty look if you walk around while the monks are chanting etc.

""Heater""

Not me ...was Samak being silly again.

Install a heater ...house warming...in Bangkok :doah:

The family home has a hot water system and we installed a larger pump to cope with all of us staying there for showeres etc.

Now all back in Sydney along with wifes son...so a six bedroom home for two...untill we start dribbling back to Bkk.

In some cases, the process starts before the house is even started to be built. An auspicious date to start building a house would be a good thing. The direction the house faces and the color are sometimes ascertained from a monk or a fortune teller. The grand climax is the final house blessing.

But then, there are sometimes other blessings. For example, the land may be blessed before anything is done to it. Words may be said regarding former owners of the land and maybe the animals that have lived there, have died there, and those still living there. I know of one house that was occupied and things just were not going right until words were finally said for a certain spider that once lived on the land and had died a long time ago.

Some of these ceremonies can go into great detail and for some, very short.

Isn't it also when you invite everybody you know and give them food and they return envelopes with money in it, so at the end of the day you break even on the costs for the party?

Note though, the blessing is done in the morning with close relatives only and lateron in the evening is where the party with invites is held.

Hi

They only cash that i saw ....came from the family.

Her mom gave one to each monk....not sure if some guests gave to her to pass on....maybe :dunno:

Ours finished at 12pm and we took off for hua Hin.

The night was a quiet night with just a few staying on .

torneyboy said:

They only cash that i saw ....came from the family.

Her mom gave one to each monk....not sure if some guests gave to her to pass on....maybe :dunno:

Nope. The money HAS to come from the owner of the house/the host. The guests/relatives would give their money to the host to help out. The host will accept the money only from the people whom they consider 'close' to them - not just from anybody.

Archived