Economics of Rice Farming

vision25

Yuo got a good price for the land in my opinion, but 20 rai will not make any one rich.

Dont forget there are different grades of rice, and hence very different prices, from red rice being increadbly expensive down to common rice.

in my part of the woods, no one actually sells much rice! It is grown for substance only! Not considered a good cash crop.

JB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rchapstick said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would willingly invest in a sub-scale agricultural business, given the uncertainties in weather, commodity prices, etc.

From an affluent westerners perspective I can: They want to buy a way of life, view plane, space, and mystic. Gentlemen's farm. Sure, agro-economics are treacherous but think in terms of land banking your quality of life and it looks better.

>Here in the US, jasmine rice from Thailand is very expensive. Every time I look for it at my local supermarket, it is almost always sold out.

Here in Japan it's cheaper than local rice (saw a pack of 4kg or so that worked out 160 or 180 Baht a kilo) but Japanese prefer their own.

It's never sold out and customers are Thais or farangs who don't know the difference or don't care and cheap eateries.

Jasmine rice that is exported is generally not the same as Jasmine rice sold in Thailand. Thailand allows exporters to dilute the Jasmine rice by up to 30% with cheap rice. Many Thais will not buy old rice which is something falangs generally will not check.

Don't know much about this subject, but was facinated in Ang Thong a month ago, where I saw maybe 15 different grades of rice being sold there, at the morning market. The top priced stuff was double the baht of the lower grade. I forget the baht per kilo price, but remember the most expensive coming from the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai region. I was really shocked at the price difference between the different grades. Very interesting stuff.

HT

GohoK said:
rchapstick said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would willingly invest in a sub-scale agricultural business, given the uncertainties in weather, commodity prices, etc.

From an affluent westerners perspective I can: They want to buy a way of life, view plane, space, and mystic. Gentlemen's farm. Sure, agro-economics are treacherous but think in terms of land banking your quality of life and it looks better.

The original question related to the protability of a 20 rai rice farm. I still believe that the economics are terrible. If the question is can one have a good lifestyle as a gentleman rice farmer, money be damned, then I suppose if you hired enough workers to do all of the manual labor while you sipped mint julips ......

You might want to buy the rice from a rice farmer that needs the money. Then you can show people all the rice you have.

In all honesty, farming is one of the poorest choices to make in order to make a living. But then, at least you will have somethingto eat.

The original question related to the protability of a 20 rai rice farm. I still believe that the economics are terrible.

Sure, agree the economics are bad on the farming end but, given the consensus of the good deal on the land itself I threw out a different angle. Rice to weed patch, which would you rather look at while your watching the land value climb? Wife could loose money on the contract labor and crop and still come out with the baht in 5 years time.

I'd take the rice field any day over cattle if the economics are small scale and close to home. My 2 baht...

the main question has though not been answered yet:

what ownwership papers does the land have?

if none, than there is a very feasible danger that the land might be reposessed by the government.

if sor por kor 401 papers the land has to be used for agriculture, including a house with toilet. that is controlled, and if not done so the land will be taken away and redistributed to someone else.

Archived