A few go-go bar 'tips' for newbies (unfinished)

MrX

Am I qualified to open this thread? Of course not... Read on......

Believe none of this stuff is original but I have never pulled it together before. Anyway every 'tip' has been paid for in blood or more often in 'wasted' lady drinks and in the worst case funless evenings

Be prepared to spend money when you go a go-go.... you BUY a good time in a bar

When you go in you have only a short time to decide whether to sit down and invest in a drink..so what to look for?

Being pushed inside the bar by an aggressive lady is a bad sign while being gently ushered in is good.

The bar should be medium full...too full and everything is stressed ..they dont care about you as only one extra customer, girls are already busy etc while an empty bar means "hungry" women, excessive pressure to buy lady drinks and no fun atmoshere. Look for ladies and customers INTERACTING....some bars are almost islamic

Sit down order a drink (pay for them one at a time or two at a time, dont let a wadge of bills build up and dont pay with a big note or if you must agree with waitress just how big the note is) .....soon a lady comes and sits near you...This is a crucial moment and will probably colour your whole experience of the bar

It is often a good move to buy her a drink fairly soon (she is working after all) after she sits down if you like the look of her even just a little bit, but ....

If you dont want buy a her a drink know that the moment will come when she asks even if you dont look enthusiastic..you can refuse directly which is a bit painful all round..one trick is to say you have lady already or waiting for lady.. the bar girl ethics code means she has to go away

If you do buy her a drink when she asks for a second drink you might offer her a tip instead since she gets only about 40 baht of the lady drink price and doesnt always love the management a 50 baht tip often suits her very well...

If you tire of her but have already bought her a drink really you have already done your duty as a customer and can send her away or ask her to get the lady you truly lust after....

If you like her enough to consider a barfine TALK TO HER first try an get an impression of her beyond the pheromes....

If she seems not keen on you / barfine let her go..otherwise you will have a bad time later....

OOPS....I am running out of time on this post even though there are loads more things to write...Can other board members add 'tips' to help newbies?

Tips...

1. Never go into a gogo if you don't intend to spend money...you will spend!

2. Bring a girl with you into a gogo if you don't want to buy LD or BF a dancer...

3. Don't buy ping pong balls!

4. Smile, joke, act crazy with the girls!

5. Tell girls your a skylab!

6. The longer you sit and drink the better quality the bar and girls become.

7. Sit next to te stage if possible and pass out 20, 50, or 100 baht notes to the girls you think dance well. Keep this practice alive!

8. Make friends with the mamasans,drink girls, and hello girls.

9. BF fat chicks they need love too.

10. Always feed a Thai girl before you go back to your hotel.

These might be helpful too.

SB

Good advice. (IMHO)

I would add, for newbies, find a medium sized go go bar you are comfortable in and use it as a regular, get known by the girls and the bar and get to know some of the girls (not neccesarily in the biblical sense!) - surprising how quickly you can learn from them - especially when you get to miss out the "what your name, where you come from, how long you stay" stuff.

Be prepared to spend money when you go a go-go.... you BUY a good time in a bar

My attitude entirely - after all I may be there just for fun, but it's a business for the girls (and for the bar). How much is (IMHO) completely "up to you" - It is no interest to me if a guy sitting next to me is having a good time spending 10B or 10,000B a night - I am not competing.

Treat it as a game, but you gotta play the game to have the fun - and don't forget the game costs to play.

Buying Lady Drinks

My advice to Newbies is not to care if you look back after your first few nights and figure that their were a few lady drinks you could have saved yourself from buying - just accept that all learning curves have a cost.

IMHO one lady drink per girl each half hour is not way too generous, (and if you want to buy them every ten minutes then whats the problem? everyone has their own level of spending comfort) If you do find things getting too expensive or you are losing control of the drinks bill (the little buggers can make a "no" seem awkward / rude) - just leave and start again next door)

Good advice all around.. Except for handing out bank-notes.. Yes you buy a good time in bar, but you don't have to make it THAT obvious. Save the handing out money tactic for US strip bars... It's really not needed in Thailand, you can act more gentleman like.

Also note that I think it's distincly un-cool to stuff Thai money in, err, disprespectful places. I'm all for tipping a girl if it means avoiding a lady drink at twice the cost, however this is best slipped to her in an inconspicuous (sp??) way.

If you must stuff money in a girls underwear (shudder) then make it a dollar bill. George Washington doesn't mind, he's dead anyway, but the Thai King perhaps does.

Cheers,

Chanchao

"If you must stuff money in a girls underwear (shudder) then make it a dollar bill. George Washington doesn't mind, he's dead anyway, but the Thai King perhaps does."

Chanchao you are a sensitive soul and I like you for it but pleeeze this is too 'culturally correct' , girls want money,currency indiscriminate, and attaching it to themselves is no cultural no-no...I go so far as to tip with a Kip to a girl with same moniker

Periperally I would like to see a thread about the rubbish you read in guide books about thais...no touching in public..huh.!...... dont touch the head!..modesty in public ..give me a break!!!!

rompandadam said:

Chanchao you are a sensitive soul and I like you for it but pleeeze this is too 'culturally correct' , girls want money,currency indiscriminate, and attaching it to themselves is no cultural no-no...I go so far as to tip with a Kip to a girl with same moniker

Periperally I would like to see a thread about the rubbish you read in guide books about thais...no touching in public..huh.!...... dont touch the head!..modesty in public ..give me a break!!!!

I partly agree that some people are a bit overly anal about the standard list of do's and don'ts which of course are changing in Thai culture just like morals and etiquette are not a fixed set in any culture. Especially holding hands or a hug won't raise many eyebrows.

However when it concerns matters of either the King or the Buddha then you're in a whole different league. I too joke around with fake money like dollar bills with silly pictures on it or Lao Kip ('almost' fake money. ;-))) But I would draw the line at putting regular Thai baht in places where it's disrespectful. You just don't put a picture of the king near a girl's pussy. Not saying all hell will break loose necessarily, but it will not make you look good at all in the minds of more than a few girls in the bar. Needless to say many of the girls aren't Thai Culture's finest ambassadors to put it mildly, or at the very least they'd suspend a few basic rules while inside a bar.

Many cultural basics (or etiquette, good manners, whatever you want to call it) are alive and well in Thailand. If you're here long enough you start being mindful of this without even trying or noticing. You do notice the differences though when you see Westerners doing things. As a rather silly example, I was watching "The Godfather" on UBC last Sunday morning which had a scene in it of a young Vito Corleone just getting in business at the start of the last century and opening up his own shop in New York. The sign bearing the business name was being prepared and was on the floor while it was prepared to be put up. Now Vito and his associates walked out of the shop and actually *stepped over* the sign. That would be a total no-no in Thailand. I noticed it, and my girlfriend did too and even asked me about it. It would seriously piss off a Thai if you stepped over the sign of his new company he was just opening.

Anyway, not really related to this issue, but a modicum of cultural common sense I think would be an asset to any visitor of Thailand, also in the bars where you find girls who come from the most traditional parts of Thailand.

I'm not losing sleep over it though, so again I don't mind to agree to disagree. :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

" You just don't put a picture of the king near a girl's pussy. Not saying all hell will break loose necessarily, but it will not make you look good at all in the minds of more than a few girls in the bar."

Reminds me of eating in one of the few remaining jewish restaurants in Vienna on a saturday..trouble was the rabbi was eating there too so the owner could not accept money from me.......we went off site to do the deed but I never figured out how the priest paid .......he went there every saturday too!

Seriously, agreeing to differ seems an instance of the undeserved mercy of god (grace that is)..... ..a bit like music and wine ( and women for those gentically predisposed)

Hum.......

In Pattaya at several gogo's this practice is not only done but encouraged by dancers. To say it's not practiced or looked down upon might be over stated...at least in places such as Pattaya.

I do aggree that to disrespect the king in any way is simply idiotic and scorned upon by anyone that respects Thailand or it's people.

To be culturally conscious in a gogo isn't a bad thing!

11. Being culturally conscious to Thais in a gogo might win favor with some girls...shows a "good heart"!

12. Don't put your sole pointed at anyone when you are sitting in a gogo.

SB

Good posts, rompandadam and Skibum. :up:

I agree with Chanchao?s point about not showing disrespect to the king. I usually just hand them a tip. The king is held in very high esteem in Thailand, far more so than any western head of state. Why needlessly upset anyone?s sensitivities (perceived or real)? I?m not averse to a grope for a tip. If I buy ping pong balls, and a girl blatantly holds out her hand for one, I put it down her knickers with her permission. I?ve had a queue of girls form with their knickers open wide requesting a donation. No worries.

Keep your 1000, 500,100,50,20 in separate compartments or order in your wallet. Sometimes very hard to differentiate in the dim lights of a gogo and when you?re pissed.

I make a point of looking at a bill as it goes into my bin, and I always add it up myself when chekbin time comes. Makes the waitresses know you?re on the ball. I always say 1000 baht or 500 baht if I?m handing them a large note, just to avoid short change hassles later.

If you are just sit there talking to a girl, 50 baht is OK in lieu of a second drink. If you have a grope (diddle), give her 100.

If there?s a stunner that you think you have a real chance of pulling, tell the one who is pestering you for a drink quite openly (she?ll understand usually) ?Have tilac. I like #?? and point to #? Why compromise? Mind you, some of the super stunners know their worth, and will charge top $ even if they condescend to go with you. But LOS is full of surprises. Nothing is set in stone.

I agree with you, rompandadam, if it feels right in the bar, it will probably be OK in the bedroom. If she seems indifferent in the bar, let her go?. cos you?ve probably just caught yourself a starfish.

Yep, bars are for having fun. I have a very good mate here in Pattaya, 70 years old. I hope I?m as sexually active as he when I get to his age. Every single beer bar or gogo bar he ever enters, he is ?determined? to have good time. He is proactive. He doesn?t wait for the action to come to him. He has an incredible eye for beautiful women. More often than not he will sit in the front row by the stage at the gogo, and within 2 minutes, while my head is still swiveling, he will have singled out the best stunner in the place, and immediately interact with her, often simply by eye contact and smiling at her, joining in the rhythm of her dancing from his seat, or mouthing the words ?soowai? (beautiful) at her. If she responds and moves near him, he?ll gently caress her legs or bum or other bits of her anatomy. If she responds to that, out comes the 100 baht note (slowly for all the other girls to see!), but placed discreetly in her hand. 9 times out of 10, she?ll come off the stage and sit with him. He?ll buy her a lady?s drink straightaway. He?s constantly smiling, displaying his happy jai dee disposition, and being attentive to her?. and enjoying the odd diddle! And 8 times out of 10 he scores. If he doesn?t, mai ben lai; there are plenty more girls in Pattaya, and the other girls have noticed what a generous gentleman he is. He only does this with the one girl he has selected . He doesn?t hand out money willy nilly.

He pays well, but not ridiculously over the top. He pays extra to take their nude photos with their permission of course, so that he can relive his sanuk over and over again. He never ever publishes them on the net, but will occasionally show them discreetly to close friends, but never gives out copies. He does a beautiful large portrait shot of her face too, that he gives her next time he sees her. He has a portfolio now of over 400 stunners ? I?ve seen it! And his phone runs hot with a stream of beauties requesting return visits.

Many blokes his age are waiting to die playing bingo on cold wet weekends in the local Darby and Joan club back in farangland. He?s living every day to the full. Life?s not a rehearsal after all!

He is my sexologist guru. If he can pull the stunners, anyone can. We?ll all die with at least 100 baht in our bank accounts ? that?s 100 baht we should have spent, which may have led to the best sanuk we?ve ever had. We?ve all got a long time ahead of us looking at the lid!

:beer:

Archived