A cultural trip - BKK/Angkor in Dec 2003

>>>The last time I checked Buddha Amulets are pretty lifeless with no pilgrims and stuff. Nope they're dead <<<

that's different. :p

>>>in fact Angkor has more life--I met many Khmers at Angkor in and around with great enthusiasm to tell me of their national treasure--not to be sniffed at imho <<<

i will go there when the monks move back in on a permanent basis, and the people go there to pray/worship/pilger/etc. i will not go to another tourist attraction.

but that's just me. i also thought that the taj mahal is way overrated, and nothing against the dancing derwishes on the market of lahore, or all the other shrines of muslim saints in india and pakisthan.

i have been many times at the great temples like the menakshi temple in madurai, or the eternal city of kashi, and would go back there many times before wasting my money at a pile of stones. :p

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<many times before wasting my money at a pile of stones. :p>>

Angkor is not just a pile of stones goddamn it :onfire: :censored: I spent 3 very memorable days bimbling around Angkor and it didn't have a comercial feel to it like Sukothai or Ayuteya. We can sit here and argue the toss and go nowhere. It just seems like you've prejudged it. Rather like those who went to Disneyland Florida dissing those who made it only to Disneyland Paris--''its just not the same in france--its not real Disney'' :grinyes:

LaoHuLi said:

Mr Guinness and his Records says Java wins Largest Budhist Temple

You might have confused the religous site of Angkor with many temples with the main tempel Angkor Wat. Therefore this is no comparison, since nowbody claims that Angkor Wat is extremely large.

From a UNESCO site:

Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia. Stretching over some 400 sq. km

ib13 said:

no shit, but I still disliked the orlando parks - should really visit angkor soon though...

The sooner the better. There are large hotel buildings to be opened soon. Better roads will follow and I presume McDonalds and Starbucks might enter Siem Reap in the near future as well. Still Sieam Reap is a nice small town...

Guest lazyphil

<<no shit, but I still disliked the orlando parks - should really visit angkor soon though...>>

Yes, shit. I'm sure the ib13 charm could get some 'pooying' at a temple :):rolleyes:

june11 said:

Anyone who would call the miles of intricate carvings on the walls of Angkor Wat a "pile of stones" is a fool.

blablabla... :sleeping:

well, if one has seen hundreds of temples with intricate carvings in india, who have the added benefit of being in still used temples, one might not get overly exited over some intricate carvings in an unused temple.

anyone who has to flame someone over some matter of personal taste in the arts is the real fool here.

you won't get me into any disneyland! :cussing::drunk:

it's all a matter of taste.

for example - i hate most beaches here in asia. many people call me mad, but i think beaches here are way too hot, lotsa vermin, lousy food (i far prefer seafood in the colder climates - it's a wellknown fact that warmwater makes far less tasty seafood), and an all around uncomfortable experience.

the only reason for me to go a beach here in asia is if there is a good wave to surf, which compensates somewhat for the otherwise utterly boring and uncomfortable experience.

gimme a lovely beach in europe any day - great food, far superior landscapes, lovely old towns.

but again - that's just me.

i love old temples, but i really prefer them still being used as temples. if they are not used anymore they leave a very sad feeling in me, and i don't wanna see them.

there is so much to see and experience in asia, everybody has his/her agenda. and on my agenda are no ruins as long as i have not yet even seen a half of what asia has to offer on living cultures.

angkor may be the most important archeological site in the region, but that doesn't have to mean that it is of much importance to my agenda here.

Archived