A cultural trip - BKK/Angkor in Dec 2003

Guest lazyphil

<<gimme a lovely beach in europe any day - great food, far superior landscapes, lovely old towns.

but again>>

Yes Blackpool and Gt Yarmouth sure knock the spots off Railey or Lam Singh beaches ::

<<you won't get me into any disneyland! :cussing::drunk:>>

You went volunterally yourself--Patpong :neener:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyonzewall said:

never been in ankor, just an expensive pile of stones. ;)

--

i need life, what's a temple without priests and pilgrims?

::

but honestly, dear FlyOZW -- you are missing out!

Angkor is truly worth a visit. No books or documenteries can make it justice. Sure it's in a rather bad shape but Angkor area is still just amazing. It truly boggles your mind...

You should really hurry over there before it's (way) too late.

And there's life there too. Old temple rooms are converted to Buddhist shrines, there are pilgrimages and you regularly see monks, Thai and Khmers, in the temples.

A must see on any culturally interested persons agenda.

Straycat,

if Fly doesn't want to go to Angkor he doesn't. Nobody is obliged to have interest in everything and if he doesn't the special quality of Angkor it is his problem.

Maybe in a few years he will regret his ignorance. Concerning this kind of art he seems not to have arrived in SE Asia yet, his mind is still in India. ::

And yes, the temples are still in use by the Khmer. For the Khmer Angkor is much more than piles of stones! After decades of destruction Ankor plays an extremely important role for the Khmer as a main focus for their national identity.

Guest lazyphil

My understanding is that Angkor is based/inspired on South India temples but in Khmer style. Some bkk based falang haul flys ass over to Cambo :D

>>>After decades of destruction Ankor plays an extremely important role for the Khmer as a main focus for their national identity. <<<

personally i believe that temples are places of worship, and should not be "focus of national identity". but again - that's just me.

>>>Maybe in a few years he will regret his ignorance. <<<

why should i? i had ample opportunity to visist ankor since more than ten years ago, i don't regret that i didn't. i had better things to do.

i have taken part, and still do as often as i can, in the most obscure religious festivals all over asia - i simply prefer to spend my time and money in finding and attending those kind of festivals. it is a lot more satisfying to me going through tibet or india, or here in thailand and take part in festivals which are more than mindblowing.

from my position here it is ignorant that people would forsake experiencing cultural events which have roots in prewritten history, are still happening, but disappearing fast, for a lifeless pile of stones.

each to his own - but for me it is far more rewarding being at places where tenthousands of people gather in religious frency, do the most unbelievable things.

being way up in the himalaya in the midst of tibetan nomads who have gathered to greet a living buddha.

being surrounded by people carving up rotten corpses, and performing spirit expulsion ceremonies.

spending time at the banks of the ganges, or in the saddhu caves of the high himalaya, discussing philosophy and life. walking with saddhus over passes which were pilgrimage routs since thousands of years.

and there is so much more that i haven't done yet, but still want to do. angkor is not part of that list.

i am into experiencing culture, not just having a look at places which were once, a long time ago, centres of a living culture.

Guest lazyphil

<<being surrounded by people carving up rotten corpses>>

You are one disturbed puppy :cover: :: :o:cover:--and to think you got worked up about mum and daughter doing the naughty together :hubba:

<<discussing philosophy and life>>

Why freeze your arse off up some god forsakin mountain when you can (and do!) the same here with your nana chums!

<<for a lifeless pile of stones>>

You say this one more time and we're gonna have boxing!

<<tenthousands of people gather in religious frency>>

I'll take you to Anfield :bow:

Archived