A cultural trip - BKK/Angkor in Dec 2003

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool enough, but as impressive it is I'm sure the other 2 are far more ancient & breathtaking

Well, They are definitely not older, on the contrary, but breathtaking I personally find is a very appropriate word to describe Angkor with.

Borobudur: "Work began on the temple in AD 750, and it took almost 100 years to complete acc. to the link provided by LHL".

"The temples of Angkor, built from 879 - 1191AD, when the Khmer civilization was at the height of its development, represent one of humankind's most astonishing and enduring architectural achievements".

Quote from my travel book on the Angkor Temples.

Pagan or Bagan: "The main tourist destination in Myanmar is Bagan, capital of the first Myanmar Empire; one of the richest archaeological sites in South-east Asia. Situated on the eastern bank of the Ayeyawaddy River, it is reached by a 90 minute flight from Yangon. The 42 sq km area of Bagan contains over 2000 edifices, the well-preserved pagodas and temples representing the rich cultural heritage of the 11th - 13th century".

Cheers

Hua Nguu

flyonzewall said:

never been in ankor, just an expensive pile of stones. ;)

never been in the americas either.

i need life, what's a temple without priests and pilgrims?

Are you serious. You live in LOS and have never been to Angkor? Since I know that you have a deep interest in arts I presume you must be joking.

The Khmer architecture and sculptures are really exquisite especially the female dancers the "Apsaras". Unfortunately because of massive thievery there are no free standing statues in situ left, but many bas-reliefs with Apsaras are still visible (there are less every year, because of erosion of the material). But there are many on display in the national museum in PP. Hopefully there will be a museum for Khmer art in Siem Reap in the near future with many works of art which are not on display yet (I had the luck to see theese once).

The long frieze in Angkor Wat is excellent as well and the small temple of Banteai Srei outside the main area is a master piece of Khmer art. Angkor is about size AND quality and both is on its highest level of world art history.

PS: I would love to have a good replica of a Khmer sculpture. Their elegant carvings impressed me more than some of the religious sculptures I have seen in Japan, but of course this more about personal taste and no disrespect of Japanese art.

my main interest are the living arts.

and after i have experienced the wonders of indian temples, who in addition to the arts have a vibrant life i have always been very disappointed by the temples without the life. but that's just me. i just believe that temples without priests and pilgrims are very sad affairs.

[color:"red"]PS: I would love to have a good replica of a Khmer sculpture. Their elegant carvings impressed me more than some of the religious sculptures I have seen in Japan, but of course this more about personal taste and no disrespect of Japanese art.[/color]

Their is a big shop in Chiang Mai that does custom made replicas of any Khmer sculpture. Very well known and easy to find in Chiang Mai, they advertise in all the local tourist magazines.

Cheers!

flyonzewall said:

my main interest are the living arts.

and after i have experienced the wonders of indian temples, who in addition to the arts have a vibrant life i have always been very disappointed by the temples without the life. but that's just me. i just believe that temples without priests and pilgrims are very sad affairs.

In a few years Angkor will be very vibrant, but unfortunately in a very unpleasant way. I presume that Angok will become a main tourist spot in SE Asia and will have lost all it's charm and magic the place still emanates. You should go there now, otherwise you may regret it...

Guest lazyphil

<<my main interest are the living arts>>

The last time I checked Buddha Amulets are pretty lifeless with no pilgrims and stuff. Nope they're dead ::, in fact Angkor has more life--I met many Khmers at Angkor in and around with great enthusiasm to tell me of their national treasure--not to be sniffed at imho ;) (I'm not stalking your posts btw even though it might seem so ::)

>>>In a few years Angkor will be very vibrant, but unfortunately in a very unpleasant way. I presume that Angok will become a main tourist spot in SE Asia and will have lost all it's charm and magic the place still emanates. You should go there now, otherwise you may regret it... <<<

i would say that's too late. it was said to be really weird ten years ago when it just opened and people roomed freely around the ruins. but even in those days i was just not into ruins. sorry... ::

Archived