Try another route?

Kiwi

Hey there Guys,

For those of you in the know,I have the following question.

I am keen on trying another route into LOS.

I have the idea of flying into Singapore then taking a Train Trip up to Bangers.

My question is as follows....do any of you have info on this...if not are you aware of any Internet Site where I could source any info?

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi.

Kiwi--

Technically there is no direct train service from Singapore. You'll have to cross into Malaysia (Johor Baru or "JB") and get the train from there...

The Malaysian Rail system has a good web site.. http://www.ktmb.com.my/

You can get schedules and fares and such forth. Once you've made to the TH/MY border, you'll have to make a transfer to a Thai railway train ... The thai rail way has a site as well.. http://www.srt.motc.go.th/httpEng/

--UPSer

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: UPSer ]

I've done the train journey from Butterworth to BKK. Once was enough, if you like trains which I do it is only just bearable. I could not imagine travelling all the way from Sing by this method.

I really do like trains. I once travelled from HK to Tallin (Estonia) by train it took 11 days.

To All,

I've also done the Bangkok to Butterworth, and return, by train. It IS a long journey. (About a whole day and night from Bangkok) I'd only do it again when I have plenty of time. A trip down by train, and a return by plane isn't bad. Unless you stay long enough so the long train ride is but a dim memory for your tired and sore ass cheeks! :-)

You need to come prepared for this trip. Some snacks, a bottle of Sang Thip to discretely add to your colas occasionally, a good book or two, a cd player with some favorite cd's to listen to, some sleeping clothing to change into for the sleeper bed, an extra pack or two of ciggies, a sleeping pill if you have trouble sleeping on noisy conveyances, bring any valuables with you to bed and place them on the side away from the curtain..there has been known to be thievery from baggage while you are asleep, ear plugs (or use the cd headphones) for the noisy baby next to you that the mother hasn't the sense to realize is bothering the whole car with its damned incessant caterwauling.

Not a bad trip to do, but not something I'd like to do more than two or three times a year for a visa run. The cost is minimal each way. Saves you quite a bit from plane fare. Around a thousand baht one way for the sleeper if my memory serves me right. Money that can be well spent partying in Penang instead, or Bangkok for that matter.

Beautiful scenery...especially in southern Thailand, bring a disposable camera, or a video recorder.

Cent

p.s. For you smokers.....you are allowed to smoke on the platforms between the cars. There is even an ashtray provided on the wall. Open the door to the outside and you can catch some fresh air and check out the scenry as it flashes by while you grab your nicotine fix. Just don't fall out. Hold the rail!

p.p.s. For those taking a Thai lass on this trip......bring a cheap blanket along in a plastic carry bag. Otherwise you'll have to endure constant whining about how cold the ac is! Or tip the conductor/bed maker to get you down a blanket from your bed at the beginning of the voyage. Or turn up the cd player full blast and ignore her! :-)

Thanks for the replies....I shall take heed and look at the Internet sites as well.

Took a Train trip ,Chiang Mai to Bangers...we had a ball,so I perhaps wanted to repeat the venture again.

See ya and ta again,

Kiwi.

Archived