Movie: "The Passion" banned in Thailand

Old Hippie said:

.Most religions have similar conepts and or traditions simply because they didn't want to alianate the people they wanted to convert/conquer/control...religion remains the controling opium of the masses who need to put responsibility into someone ele's hands rather than take it on themselves..

Dude, your looking at it in the wrong way. The masses need to be controlled because they are dangerous when they think for themselves. Personally I am amazed by the lack of common sense and coherent thinking ability I find in the average guy. Most people don't even have the intelligence to drive in a safe manner. Do you really think that these people should not have a mechanism of mass behavioral control? I say let them have their religion, television, shopping malls, Starbucks and McDonalds.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has anyone actually seen the movie? (That's all it is after all kids, no need to get too emotional.)

Itsmedave says it's pretty gorey. Now the missus wants to see it even more. Any other reviews/opinions (on the movie, not the religion - I'm sure we're all old enough, and ugly enough to make up our own minds on that)?

I think Mel hasn't got over the impact of the hanging/drawing/quartering scene in Braveheart. He knew that was good cinema. Hence the reported amounts of gore in this latest.

He seems to be following the same theme in a lot of his recent flicks. The idea that real men have gotta do what real men have gotta do, regardless of any personal risk to themselves but if it improves the lot of their fellow man/makes a statement or proves a point of prinicple.

If anyone's seen We Were Soldiers, his Vietnam war homage, then I think they'll agree that Gibson's star is rapidly fading. He seems to have far too much control over his films. Okay, he's a big star but someone needs to step in and take out the bullshit detector and tell him to stop, "mel, just stop, alright?"

WWS featured a loving family man with a gaggle of kids, (hint, hint, not dissimilar to Mel's own family life). A good man. A kind man. A man of principle who's gotta do what a man's gotta do despite any misgivings he may have and prior knowledge of disastrous military operations by the French in the 1950's. We know that it's gonna be a disastrous failure but still if anyone's good at trying and failing heroically it's Mel.

Look at Braveheart. A film about a disastrous, doomed hero.

Look at The Passion. A film about a disastrous, doomed hero.

jjsushi said:
Old Hippie said:

.Most religions have similar conepts and or traditions simply because they didn't want to alianate the people they wanted to convert/conquer/control...religion remains the controling opium of the masses who need to put responsibility into someone ele's hands rather than take it on themselves..

Dude, your looking at it in the wrong way. The masses need to be controlled because they are dangerous when they think for themselves. Personally I am amazed by the lack of common sense and coherent thinking ability I find in the average guy. Most people don't even have the intelligence to drive in a safe manner. Do you really think that these people should not have a mechanism of mass behavioral control? I say let them have their religion, television, shopping malls, Starbucks and McDonalds.

JJ,

This is the purpose of laws isn't it? I doo see your point though...and sadly sort of agree. The problem is, these people try and shove their view down my/our throat... :help:

Yep, read your posts along with them all. So what's the verdict? Thumbs up or down? Saying how violent the film was, or that it wouldn't be a great teaching tool hardly constitutes a review IMO.

All I want to know is... Did you enjoy the film?

Suk,

Just watched WWS the other day - Miss Red's choice again - it must be noted, this was based on a true story and book. The co-writer/hero (Col Moore) praised the filmakers on their accuracy in an interview. Mel also did nothing but act in it (no directing/producing). In WWS he didn't really fail did he? He won the battle, and returned home alive (albeit a bit guilty, some of the kids died along the way), unlike so many.

I'm a big fan of Gibbo, and yeah, he aint the best in the business now, but he is getting older, and can only play certain parts now. I feel he'll look a bit silly in Mad Max 4.

When it comes to "The Passion" I'm a bit of a skeptic myself on MG's motivation. MG says he's spent a fortune doing it himself so he can have the final say in all matters, to spread the word blah, blah, blah. I think he knows he has the talent to make a good movie, about the "greatest story ever told", and whether you're a "believer" (as MG calls himself now), or not, there's going to be a great deal of interest in the flick (look at the interest this movie, and religion brings on THIS board!). Hence massive $$ to be made. The anti semetic debarcle when it was first released only called more attention to the movie. Bottom line - MG collects all the profits, as he put up all the capital.

Great idea Mel. Convincing the TV evangalist to endorse the poduct was a good one too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are going down the wrong road. Did you know Mel has spent millions building a Catholic Church near his home in CA, USA?

I am still of the opinion that Mel believes he has seen the light and now it is up to him to shove it down everyones throat - oops, I meant to say, lead others down the path to eternal salvation.

Maybe, probably, but do you really believe he thought the movie would be anything less than a roaring success?

If he wants to "spread the word" good luck to him - it's a free world. I still haven't seen the movie but I've heard it's anything but evangelistic.

Hi,

>>>>I am still of the opinion that Mel believes he has seen the light and now it is up to him to shove it down everyones throat - oops, I meant to say, lead others down the path to eternal salvation.<<<<

How is he shoving anything down your throat? He made a movie, which you have to be interested enough in, to pay your money to go see. I'd hardly call that shoving your believes down one's throat. Shoving one's beliefs down another's throat entails force/unwanted exposure. No one is forcing you to go listen to any messege presented in any movie, no matter what the messege might be.

HT

Archived