Kids TV just isn't the same

Guest baldrick

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got all of the The Herbs on video. Sad but true. Goes well when I'm having a nice sit down and a beer or whatever. 'Herbidacious'. Parsley rocks, a real funky bastard lion but Sage the owl can freak you out if you're not ready for him.

'Mary, Mungo and Midge' was one of my favourites as a kid. I've got one episode on video. It's sad really because it was made at a time when tower blocks were the 'in' thing, a long time before they became vertical hells.

'The Magic Roundabout' is coming back. Don't get too excited - it'll be shite because they'll try too hard (they can't help themselves these TV people.)

Eric Thompson (father of uber-thesp Emma) did all the narration for the original series which had been made in France and brought to the UK with no soundtrack. Therefore, Thompson made up the narrative by guessing at what might be happening. The names were all down to him, hence Dylan, the stoned rabbit. Incidentally, Thompson has always resolutely denied any drug references in Magic Roundabout. Yeah right Eric, listen mate - go tell the marines 'cos this head knows pschedelia when he sees it. Man. Like wow.

Bill and Ben were just plain 'out there' (as opposed to 'out'!). What disturbs me about B and B is that they live in fear of the gardener. Why? What will he do if he finds two talking plantpot men? It's all rather sinister and I can't concentrate on it because of that.

Andy Pandy is the real gay boy of children's telly. What a tosser he was. Teddy was tougher than him and he had no opposable thumbs. Also, Andy Pandy couldn't drive that train for shit (it just went back and forth) and he was shit scared of Louby-Lou. What a wuss.

Playschool pissed me off quite a lot. Then I realised that I was 14 and it wasn't aimed at me. Still, I persevered although even now I still worry about that Hanbel. Hanbel was a scary stuffed doll. Big Ted and Little Ted; father and son or brothers? TELL US you Cant (Brian, naturally).

Ah yes the dreaded gardener. Thank you for reminding me carew. I think I can empathize to some extent with Bill & Ben's trepidation. It was never spelt out of course....how could it be given the delicate state of the audience...but I think B & B's biggest fear was of being separated......or even worse CUT!! only to be wrapped in soggy newspaper and taken in a Morris Minor down to an evening class at the Women's Institute. Ask yourself how you would feel? To be used as part of some sinister flower arrangement ritual by the Vicar's wife. Thank goodness flowers have rights now and we are beginning to see an end to that kind of abuse. :drunk:

doogle and zebadee were personal favorites of mine. I think Timothy Leary was a guest director on a few of those magic roundabout episodes.

My favorite is The Clangers. I still like watching it to this day. The story lines were always good and very quant. There was one good one where they find a TV and when they switch it on a Jimi Hendrix type character appears and plays all this really noisy electric guitar, which upsets them all. In the end they send the TV off into space.

On the school holidays, in the mornings after Tin Tin, I always watched The Flashing Blade. The theme tune was excellent and we used to play it when I was in a band fourteen years ago.

If it wasn?t The Flashing Blade that was on in the school holidays, then it was Robinson Crusoe. I always enjoyed that too and that also had a really catchy theme tune.

I must admit, when waiting in anticipation for these early morning programs to start. I would spend quite a lot of the time watching the test card.

Children?s TV babes for me were Jo (the assistant in Dr Who), Janet Ellis (Blue Peter) and Daphny (Scooby Doo cartoon). There was also a very nice mermaid in one episode of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

Childhood hero was John Noakes.

"I always watched The Flashing Blade. The theme tune was excellent.

then it was Robinson Crusoe. I always enjoyed that too and that also had a really catchy theme tune"

have to agree about the theme music to the above shows.

but i never seemed to see the episodes of The Flashing Blade in order and it became confusing.

what about the one with the white horses,was that Belle and Sebastion?

also liked 'Double Deckers' and 'Clapperboard'.

Michael Rodd was king...... :up:

but Tony Hart was God in those days....... :applause:

Archived