Kids TV just isn't the same

Guest baldrick

Yeah, I knew it was a wind-up, can't remember where it originated from, mind you.

Tiswas was a gem on saturday mornings with Sally James. Lenny Henry got his break there I believe (or did he win Opportunity Knocks, or maybe he did both).

I agree about the Clangers, furry aliens living on some planet with the Iron Chicken and the Soup Dragon. Classic.

Then there was Hectors House about a dickhead of a dog, living in a house with Zsa Zsa the cat and Kiki who was some sort of foxy frog chick. Hector always closed the show saying "I have beena very silly Hector today." He needed a good smack.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well all I can say is that I haven't even heard of a single one of these shows ....... and apparently didn't miss anything either as a kid. ::

Blue Peter eh? Now, Blue Peter is like carbon dating (but more accurate). It's possible to deduce a lot from people who watch Blue Peter...

Firstly, the fact that they are Blue Peter people as opposed to Magpie people points to an aspirational childhood environment. Magpie was the yobbo's programme, Blue Peter was the opposite. As someone ( a Magpie viewer no doubt) once said, "Blue Peter was like volunteering for 'more school'". Good kids watched Blue Peter. Blue Peter kids had sensible bikes, they did not have Raleigh Choppers. They wore Start-rite shoes and not Doc Martens. They would not have Angel Delight for tea and they more likely than not wore uniforms at their school.

A crude generalisation I know (I, for one, was a yob, albeit a yob who knew all about Marie Antoinette as a result of Valerie Singleton dressing up as her at least twice a year) but this was but one of those peculiar 1970's polarisations. Others included the great 'T-Rex' OR 'Slade' schism (it could never be 'I like both') and the 'Multi-coloured Swap Shop' versus 'Tiswas' debate. Lilliput versus Blefuscu if you like, a peculiar time indeed.

[Clears throat and coughs] I would now like a volunteer from the audience. Anybody. Come on now, don't be shy. Otherwise I'll pick somebody myself. Come on, it won't hurt.

Okay - right then. Mr Zeppelin step forward laddie. Yes, you boy. Stand up straight, don't slouch. Are you chewing? Spit it out laddie.

Ed here presents a bit of a mystery. His choice of Janet Ellis as Blue Peter presenter is interesting and would serve as a good dating tool were it not for him also selecting John Noakes as a childhood hero. As there is a significant gap between their stints on BP this could present a problem. John 'get down Shep' Noakes presented between 1965 and 1978 but Ellis's stint did not begin until 1983 and ended with her pregnancy in 1987.

There is a possibility that the 'Go with Noakes' theorem can be applied (p.652.'Why kids programmes are shite these days", Deacon. J: 1998. Oxford University Press) were it not for the fact that Mr Zeppelin here also remembers 'The Flashing Blade'.

If we use the Scooby-Doo method as a crosscheck then we must first establish the answer to the question: Before Scrappy-Doo or After? My money is on the latter due to the presence of the Clangers reference.

Using the LazyPhil equation (an attempt at discrediting this particular formula was made in the failed 'White Horses' and 'Why Don't You' research paper ( 'Did you look at my pint'? - An examination of contemporary pub conversations in Cambridge. Look-In Magazine. IPC Magazines.2001 ) then we can say that factor 'x' is 'Robinson Crusoe'. The way forward now becomes clearer and we can see a way in which all the data can be drilled down to show:

Ed is 35 years old, drives a Range-Rover, hates McDonald's burgers, has a cat called Wellington and drinks Guinness.

Simple really. ;)

One word mate:-

BOD

:bow:

Two words:

THE WOODENTOPS

:hug:

Or, 3 words

NOGGIN THE NOG

:hubba:

Is it any wonder that a tiny little island in the north sea has produced so many great musicians/artist when their formative experiences were so bizarre?

sayjann said:

you must have had a sad childhood Mr.L.

we Brits were bought up on classic kids programmes and thats why we are as fucked up as we are...... :neener:

We had TV early in it's day......... late 40s ........ yes there was TV then :) mostly live as well, making for some grand on-air scewups.

Kids TV ....... hmm Howdy Doody, Kookla Fran and Ollie, Sheri and Lambchop (now she was a piece of gear), Mr Dressup (hated the fag), Disney's Mousekateers (had my first crush on one of them)real cartoons like Bugs and Roadrunner and a couple of other truly insipid shows. Mostly Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Sid Ceasar, Ed Sullivan, and dusters (Cowboy Westerns) ~ ABC ~ All Bout Cowboys, NBC ~ Nothin But Cowboys, CBC ~ Cowboys, Bloody Cowboys :neener:

Muppets were great, never saw Sesame Street til I had kids myself ........... just as well.

It weren't so bad Sayjann, we actually read books and played outside, much better than today's Electronic Brainwashing Babysitter. ( May explain why I haven't owned a TV in 15 years) Now if I could wean myself from the Internet ...... nah, never.

Guest lazyphil

The Littlest Hobo was a Canadian classic--always on Sat mornings before/after (?) Swap Shop!

'Theres a road that keeps on calling me'........over to u!

lazyphil said:

The Littlest Hobo was a Canadian classic--always on Sat mornings before/after (?) Swap Shop!

'Theres a road that keeps on calling me'........over to u!

Yeah, Rin Tin Tin's country bumpkin cousin. :doah:

I used to enjoy the 5 min shows before the 6 o clock news such as Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Magic Roundabout, Willow the whisp, Rhubarb etc

Can still recall that catchy tune from the Red Hand Gang

I recall a mad programme called "Paulus the Woodland Gnome" unless I was dreaming that one up.

Animal Crackers "Roary, Roary give us a story"

Jamie and his Magic Torch

Crystal Tips and Alistair

What ever happened to Michael Craven from News Round?

Then there was the mad lunchtime programmes like..the Flumps, Charlton and the Wheelies, Cloppa Castle, Larry the Lamb, camberwick Green, Trumpton (Pu, Pu Barney McGree, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub!)

...... and some mad head programmes like Michael Bentine's Potty time.... he was off the wall

Happy Days

Archived