She can't cook rice!

Redbaron

Wouldn't you believe it? The missus has followed me down under, and we decided to cook a bit of Thai food. Having done the shopping (food), I pulled out the saucepan, with the intention of boiling up the Jasmine Rice, only to be told, "Sorry darling, cannot. Need a rice cooker."

Luckily I can read the instructions on the side of the packet (1. Boil water. 2. Put the rice in). Was amazed she didn't know how to cook rice in a pan though. Everything else she's cooked turned out fantastic.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Redbaron,

I'm not surprised to hear that. :neener:

For me, my school taught me how to cook rice the old way, ie, rinsing the 'water' out of the boiling rice. Luckily, when I was studying overseas there was an instruction on a rice package so I followed that without having to rinse the water with all the nutrition. The downside is you have to watch over it otherwise the rice could get burned. LOL

Cheers,

GTG

Guest lazyphil

WE have a rice cooker wouldn't be without it--the pan is horrible. btw my mrs cooked 70 sit in and 35 takeaway meals at the pub last night at the pub/restaurant. Thai food booming in falangland!

Cooking rice with a pan isn't inherently evil or guaranteed to produce horrible rice.

Just need to know how to do it. When I was a kid, I did this (forgot how by now). Just like a rice cooker, you can control how "wet" or dry the rice becomes. Just need to be a little conscientious to check it. The nice thing about a pot (or clay pot) is that you can increase the temperature at the end and have that crispy rice clinging to the sides (can do that with a rice cooker, just takes more time).

<<burp>>

Red,

Exactly what happened here the first day, I taught her how to cook rice in a pan.

Second day I bough her a ricecooker to stop her nagging me :)

Luckily those electric ricecookers have existed since the last 300-400 years, otherwise where would they have been ?????

Cheers !

Yep, lashed out and bought a cooker the other day. Did a good job too.

Must agree with gummi though, the past 30 years I've been using a pan, but yeah the cooker makes it a lot easier. Perfect every time.

TB,

We're cooking together in the kitchen sometimes, but mainy outside on the BBQ. (Not no ordinary BBQ mind). Great fun. The beers go down so much better by the barbie.

N400,

Peace man.

I have been using a saucepan forever because I don't eat enough rice to utilize a rice cooker. My rice comes out perfect everytime! Jasmine rice is the most forgiving of all rice to cook. You would have to be pretty inept to burn a pot of Jasmine rice.

Where I find that most people screw up is they use too much water and they boil too long. People forget that steam cooks the rice to make it nice and fluffy, not boiling it. Use low heat and don't take the top off.

Maybe one day when I feel like splurging I will spend $150 on a Zojurushii cooker.

Note that mine also managed to cook potato's and pasta in our rice cooker. She actually seriously wants a NEW rice cooker, as our current one is still from the pre-her era and therefore evil. She already broke everything else that was pre-her. :-/

So anyone want to buy a perfectly good Toshiba rice/potato/pasta cooker? :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived