Dangerous Going Back To BG's Village?

MooNoi

A few years ago I ventured to the ex's village a few times. One of the reasons she's now the 'ex' is at one stage it appeared I was about to get the living crap beaten out of me. We (me, the ex and little sis) were at a friend of the family's house, enjoying the day, playing with the kids etc. When a pickup truck with a dozen Thai guys turned up. I was on a hammock, and the ringleader starts shouting at me in thai/english... something about his wife (this could have been a mistranslation, he could have meant my wife) and hitting me on the head.

Normally I'd pounce up and start swinging, but his dozen mates in the truck sort of made me think twice about that one. We all know about the head being a not so nice part of the body to assault and all that. At the time, I thought the best bet was to smile and take it... Funny, the missus at the time was 3 feet away, back turned to us, and never stopped her conversation with the neighbour.

This was about my 6th village visit, and was quite comfortable up until then, visiting everyone there. I put it down to 2 possibilities. 1. The guy was her BF/husband/ex whatever, and jealous. 2. Just a drunk bloke, who didn't like farangs.

The GF at the time's insistance on doing nothing however, I thought was pretty lame.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redbaron said:

A few years ago I ventured to the ex's village a few times. One of the reasons she's now the 'ex' is at one stage it appeared I was about to get the living crap beaten out of me. We (me, the ex and little sis) were at a friend of the family's house, enjoying the day, playing with the kids etc. When a pickup truck with a dozen Thai guys turned up. I was on a hammock, and the ringleader starts shouting at me in thai/english... something about his wife (this could have been a mistranslation, he could have meant my wife) and hitting me on the head.

Normally I'd pounce up and start swinging, but his dozen mates in the truck sort of made me think twice about that one. We all know about the head being a not so nice part of the body to assault and all that. At the time, I thought the best bet was to smile and take it... Funny, the missus at the time was 3 feet away, back turned to us, and never stopped her conversation with the neighbour.

This was about my 6th village visit, and was quite comfortable up until then, visiting everyone there. I put it down to 2 possibilities. 1. The guy was her BF/husband/ex whatever, and jealous. 2. Just a drunk bloke, who didn't like farangs.

The GF at the time's insistance on doing nothing however, I thought was pretty lame.

Hope you caught the VERY NEXT horse outta Dodge!

What an ass your GF was.

Funny, the missus at the time was 3 feet away, back turned to us, and never stopped her conversation with the neighbour.

I can relate to this, a few years ago when on a trip to Mukdahan in the NE of Thailand, me and the ex where in a cheap restaurant when this guy came wandering in, his eyes were glazed over, IMO he was high on narcotics, he came straight to me, and in a rather menacing manner demanded money and despite my refusals would not take no for an answer. The funny thing was, this creep appeared to be invisible to everyone except me, the GF the staff and the other customers (Thai) completley ignored him, it was as if he wasn't there. In the end I gave him some change, and he left, I was dissapointed with the lack of support I was shown.

Jimmie Blonde said:

Not at all dangerous, depending on the bar girl :)

I go back all the time, only bad thing happened to me was there was a "Welcome to our Village" ceremony that by the end of it I realized was actually a "We just married you off to our daughter" ceremony

:banghead:

Same thing happened to me. I'm so thick I didn't see it coming until the banana leaf temple and string thing started.

GF had us do some photos about 3 months prior, one wearing what she said is "traditional" Thai garb. Later, a friend saw the photo and asked, "So when did you get married?". :doah:

Can happen. I was at a wedding recently. One falang made an ass of himself and went to sleep - drunk. I later went to sleep. About an hour later, the son of the bride's father's brother showed up and wanted to kill falangs. It turned out his wife goes to Pattya and works falangs for money. Consequently, he hates all falangs. The drunk falang woked up and went outside. The Thai man wanted to kill the falang but his father intervened. The man almost broke his father's wrist.

When I realized what had happened, I went back to sleep. The drunk falang spent the rest of the night awake.

In villages, the people will protect you, or at least I think they will.

Guest lazyphil

Hypothetically if the situation arose and a Thai man wanted a fight I'd accommodate him as long as he had no weapons and friends to back him up--he could fight me on my local recreation ground if he wanted ;)

Archived