100baht Beer Chang special - Cathouse

Redbaron

I'm sure you all know of the 100B beer chang special at the cathouse, NEP? For those of you that don't, between 3 and 8pm (or is it 7?), for 100B it's all you can drink. Most drinks are cheap too.

Last trip (Jan/Feb 2004), the missus and I decided to tackle the 100 baht challenge we've all heard so much about - head on. I'd never done it before, and she's had a good time at the cathouse previously so it sounded like a good idea at the time. To the cathouse's credit, every beer served was ice cold and served with great speed. Amazing really as the place was packed on the 2 occasions we went, and everybody seemed to be drinking chang. They must have a bloody big fridge hidden somewhere.

Basically what happened was, a guy started making conversation with us. 50 ish, maybe 60. Well dresses, American or Canadian (sorry, couldn't tell the difference), very polite and spoke perfect Thai too. Looked like a long term expat. At first he was a real laugh, having fun with whoever wanted to talk, and having a great laugh with the staff. General chit chat about Thailand, Bangkok and what a bargain the 100B deal seems. He also mentions he's not looking for a BG, as he doesn't have enough cash. After a while, Miss Red goes white. She explains to me he's just told all of the staff (in Thai) they are too ugly for Thailand, and to go back to Cambodia. Pretty ordinary.

Eventually he asks me if I'm coming back tomorrow. To which I reply in the negative. He says that's a shame because he's going to borrow some money off me, and intended to pay me back the next day. I apologise, and explain in the history of mankind, nobody who has lent money to a stranger in a bar has EVER been repaid. NEVER, it has not happened.

The guy gets a bit pissed off, and stops talking to us, apart from the occasional uneasy smile.

Anyhow, after the free beer finishes, Miss Red orders herself another drink, and the waitress asks me what I'll have. Sick of beer I order something with coke (scotch, sangsom, whatever). It arrives, I go for a leak. When I come back I have one mouthful, realise it tastes like shit. Check bin and we leave. The weirdo giving us another wierd look.

My next memory is waking up the next morning feeling pretty rough.

According to the missus, we made it to the 7-11 on soi 4 near the bus stop (?), bought some drinks, I stopped and sat in the gutter for 20 minutes being a twat. When we got back to the room, I threw my guts up and fell asleep instantly.

What gets me is... I'd only had 5 or 6 beers (they mark on your bin how many you've had). My tolerance is significantly higher than that (yes, I have a problem.) I have NEVER forgotten how my night has ended in the past.

Even though the missus thought it funny, I was a bit concerned... Dunno.

A few days later we go again (there was a reason, but I forget now), and proceed in having a fantastic night. Hooked up with a Scottish guy who was one of the funniest types I've ever met. Billy Connolly funny, but bald and 6'6 ish.

Had an absolute fantastic afternoon/night, and half the bar was in on all the laughs.

The only downside was.. Everytime I've been to the Cathouse, if TopCat (owner, and all round nice guy) isn't there, Boss Hogg is. Now, I don't know him very well, but everytime I see him, he oozes sleaze. The way he was leering at the girls (including my little lovely), and talking down to them, was really not sanuk.

Sorry if this breaches board rules but the guy really makes my skin crawl, and the way he carries on in TC's bar, as if he owns the place (does he?) and talking to the girls like they are scum. Sort of defeats the purpose of a good night out.

Just my impression of the guy. Not once has he looked happy. (I've met him about a dozen times over the years I guess, although never really got to know him.)

Hi rb,

I normally avoid the Thai beers because they all have a bad effect on me. They seem to have the same effect on you. I once went for the "all you can drink" offer, but after three (I think) I couldn't take any more of it and gave up. The arithmetic showed I would have been better off just paying the reduced price per bottle, so on the rare occasions I go to CH, that's what I now do. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Khwai

RB,

Chang beer is also a bit stronger than most, following Fly's link (I pasted it below) it appears to be in the range of 6.5% to 8%. Guess if you drank them fast enough (you did say they delivered them quick) even 5 or 6 can have an effect. I've found Sangsom to be somewhat sweet so it is a bit worrisome you found your Sangsom Coke bitter after returning from the head.

A waitress in a bar confided to me that some waitresses she's known will spike someone's drink with a few drops of Visine to 'get revenge' - said it causes the person to get the runs later, and this was a bar in America (I didn't drink there much after that...). Wouldn't put it past that fool trying to borrow money from strangers he befriends in the bar doing something nasty like that, but, it could've just been some fast Changs that night...

This is Fly's Kloster link - just click on the Beer Chang link:

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=923

Well, I guess it's my time to chime in. That Beer Chang is killer. I can drink with the Best of the Best, but 5 or 6 Changs makes me more than a bit tipsy. There's several regulars who down 10 -14 ever day. No idea how they manage that. But my hat is off to them. We also have mixed drinks and tequila shots for 25 Baht during Happy Hour. So, it can get quite sloppy later in the day. Still looking for some light live music or something for a couple hours after happy hour.

Really glad all the beers were cold. We're really having problems keeping it all cold. I'm thinking of putting in another 'Frig. Chang is supposed to be providing Draft starting this month so I'm planning on putting that in. Also thinking about Heiniken Draft. I really like draft. Any feedback on Draft Heiniken?

Sorry about the Geek wanting to borrow money. I really needed the cash....Joking...Wish I knew who..........But, sounds like you handled better than I have in the past.

As to the possibilty of a doctored drink. Not a chance from our staff. I'd be happy if they would get off their stools more and serve the customers better, but never had a whiff of fiddling with the drinks. More likely the Chang did it's usual catastrophic damage.

Visine? Really? Never heard of that. Guess, I'll have to give that a try myself.

As to if I'm not there (Less and Less time of late) Boss Hog is........Not possible. He's my landlord but he only comes in two or three times a year, if that. hardly ever even comes into Nana as his staff tells me and has no reason to hang around the bar. Must have been somebody else. Wonder who it was? The leering part sounds like my ex-wife but she doesn't come around much any more. OH well, sorry about the leering. Only one guy I can think of....I've got a 5% partner from the US who has really really really bad tunnel vision in his one good eye, but he doesn't come in much and usually stays in the corner talking to his friends, but when he does look around it can be scary. But, he's a good guy and my friend. How do I put this. Big John (Boss Hog, to you) is mostly sans-hair and my friend Jon has hair. Oh well, next time inroduce me and we'll chat about it. I'll match you Chang-for-Chang and we'll see who lasts.

This is as good a time as any to mention that I've been thinking about it's time to do some kind of NanaPlaza.com appreciation day. I was thinking of a free BBQ from say noon until 4 on a Sunday afternoon in the next two or three weeks. Perhaps a tequila tasting (not free but real dirt cheap...my cost only) and perhaps a Chili Cookoff. I can cook a real mean chili and would like a little competition. Any feed back on this would be appreciated. Let me know.

Hmm...sounds good to me. I'll wait a bit and see if anybody else has input. I'm confident enough about my Chili that I might even put up 5,000 Baht or something for a prize. Also have a bottle of Mesacl WITH THE WORM that I might put out with a price for the guy that gets the worm. "Fear Factor in BKK !"

Archived