How to get my TG out of the House??

sidsanuk

lazyphil said:

(what did she graduate in?--she could have good opportunity's is a big city?)

She graduated in marketing. Held down a few jobs in BKK as a marketing assistant. To be honest, she is not that creative or good under pressure. A thing I have noticed with a lot of Thais. (I have a business in BKK too). Think it is due to the education system. They all look for direction all the time, rather than use initiative. (Sweeping statement I know, but just based on my limted experience)

Sid

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lazyphil said:

We've had a joint account for nearly 3 years ::

We have joint account (plus one each) joint names on property, heck she is even a Director of my business in BKK. Sucker? Don't think so. In would trust her with my life and she the same :-)

Sid

sidsanuk said:
lazyphil said:

(what did she graduate in?--she could have good opportunity's is a big city?)

She graduated in marketing. Held down a few jobs in BKK as a marketing assistant. To be honest, she is not that creative or good under pressure. A thing I have noticed with a lot of Thais. (I have a business in BKK too). Think it is due to the education system. They all look for direction all the time, rather than use initiative. (Sweeping statement I know, but just based on my limted experience)

Sid

I know what u mean. One of my current GF's is a marketing major at Sukothai University. I am rather curious as to how she will perform when placed in a real job. One of my majors was in marketing and I can't see her initiative, creative or analytical side whatsoever. Marketing is very competitive field in the US so only the aggressively creative, innovative and or visionary guys really succeed.I'm trying to convince her to somehow take on extra coursework in finance to increase her odds of getting a good job. My experience with the Thai system is that the academic credential is more important or relevant than the aptitude and talent of the individual.

Concerning your lady, I don't know about OZ but in the US you will find many women who attend book discussion groups or clubs. That might be a good start to meet new friends if she likes to read. You can also find out what hobbies she likes and then have her join a formal club or organization that is specific to that hobby or interst.

Did you ever think of enrolling her in a local college to earn another degree or some sort of certification so that she could enhnace her educational background and make her more employable in OZ?

I am Swiss living in Bangkok and we have lots of Thai's living in Switzerland and I presume it is the same in OZ, especially in places like Sydney or Melbourne. From my experience, they all gather together on certain days during the week and sure stick together and know eachother after a certain period of time. I recommend that you just frequent a good thai restaurant with her and get to know the staff and see what they do during their free time. I also understand that the University in Sydney teaches / offers Thai Courses and there are a lot of people who might be interested in private lessons. Well, that was at least the case at Monarch in Melbourne. Otherwise, I think it is also a good idea to start some trading, now that Australia and Thailand have special trade agreements. Well, thats all I can offer on advise. Cheers,

Hi FlyP,

It doesn't matter if I am in a serious relationship with Thai or farang... I would NEVER open a joint bank account. Its fine while things are "happy happy joy joy", but if something goes wrong down the track it can just cause too many problems and be too much an easy target for "revenge" on the other partner. Maybe I'm cynical, but I just feel comfortable doing things this way. I prefer to call myself practial

If you are married and holding seperate bank accounts, suppose your wife overdraws her account, the bank can withdraw the amount from your account without even asking.

That is at least what happened to me one time when the missus "happened" to make a 500 US overdraw.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Sid,

I know exactly what your going through! My wife came to Hong Kong for 2 years before we moved to Bangkok and she found it very difficult for the most of time in Hong Kong...after 2 years she felt more at home and that was about the time we moved back to Bangkok....... ::

My wife worked in the Marketing field in Bangkok prior to moving to Hong Kong and just could not get her foot in the door, mainly due to language issues......The biggest issue for her was not being able to use her academic (Masters) and previous work experience....In the end she took a job as a sales assistant at a Thai Silk shop and whilst the work was not great, she enjoyed having something to do during the day! Additionally, she had a friend from Bangkok join the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong and this also helped her getting introduced to professional Thai expats in Hong Kong! Again, this helped to make 'good' friends and help her social life!!!!!

I think if the money is no issue, then try and get her to take a retail job ! The job is not that stressful, gets her out and about and through the job she is exposed to a wide range of people! From my experience, this really helped my wife's confidence!!!!

The best advice is get her out of the house! Get her doing something, otherwise she will be bored and disillusioned with her life.......

If you wish to discuss further then PM me or post here!

Good Luck!

SB.

Archived